Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever get a song stuck in your head......? And if so, at what point did it become concerning?

Options
  • 01-12-2023 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

You know sometimes you wake up late at night, maybe about 4 am or so? The sleep cycle kind of goes in stages like that, light REM sleep, deep sleep, back to light etc.

I think the lighter stages of sleep are associated with dreaming I believe?

It's kind of an ethereal feeling, you wake in the middle of the night, the ordinary hustle and bustle outside is so quiet, haven't fully come to yours senses etc.

Well, I woke up the last couple nights as such. That wasn't particularly unusual or concerning.

However, what WAS concerning was, as I gradually awoke, I realized I was actually mumbling to myself - you know, I woke and realized my mouth was moving and I was uttering something under my breath.

But realizing that, wasn't NEARLY as concerning as when I realized WHAT it was that I was mumbling.......

Over and over to myself, as if it were some kind of religious chant............. or a mantra:

"Big Irish balls........................ big Irish balls........................... big Irish balls......................

Suck these big Irish balls"

And then I fully came to my senses, realized this uncharacteristic (for me at least) word sequence I had on repeat, immediately caught a hold of myself and stopped it of course, and suddenly began to contemplate the ramifications of this situation.

I consider myself well spoken, well adjusted, pleasant and cordial - a gentleman of sorts.

How on earth would such obscenity have established itself so firmly in my mind, that I would actually find myself repeating it, subconsciously?

And then a dull sense of dread swept over me, as I realized that of course........ OF COURSE........ it's origins were from one influence only.

Pervading our national culture, infecting our senses, modifying our very innate rhetoric:

As I understand, endeavours are currently in motion at establishing, or at the very least, playing an increasingly significant role in, a national political party?

Don't get me wrong.

I was thrilled when I saw (back in, what was it, 2012, 2013 or such?), this fine athlete burst onto the scene. In such a challenging and grueling sport no less.

An Irish man, really stepping up the plate, taking all comers and not only finding success, but establishing dominance.

However, based on recent experiences, I can't help but begin to wonder......... is it all benign? Is it all grins and good times?

I'm just saying, I'm a little surprised at how this once happy-go-lucky figure in the world of sports entertainment, has actually begun to exert meaningful influence nationally, culturally, politically.

And I wonder, is it...... all good?

In physics we trust....

Post edited by Kimbot on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement