Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climote wall unit not working, no heating. Can it be overriden?

Options
  • 01-12-2023 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

Hi, as the title says - the Climote wall unit is not working. It's in a loop of initialising.

I tried the restart button on the bottom, no joy.

We're without heating for the weekend as their support is during office hours only. Just wondering would anyone know can this be overriden somehow to turn the heating on?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Someone else will know more, but for now, is there a unit near the boiler or somewhere that this sends signal to?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

There is a reset button on the bottom surface around thr centre of the unit.

You.would need to push upwards with a small object.

Climote have gone into liquidation so that may be the issue but try reset anyway.

You could also as a first attempt just turn your esb main switch off and on to see if it comes back.

The control unit can be removed from back plate exposing the wiring. Some are wired with just a simple power in and power out so if you got someone who knew what you were doing they could easily remove the climote function entirely to create an always on as a stopgap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Thanks for the messages, I didn't know Climote have gone into liquidation, that's definitely worrying.

Yea the first thing I tried was to shut off the mains power - turn it off and turn it on again. No joy.

I then had a look at the climote website, and found the reset button. Tried that twice.

I'm out of options. I don't see anything near the boiler - any idea what that would look like?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭G-Man

A local handyman would fit a simple timer in its place until you decide on what your next plan is.. ..There is much to choose from for long term thermostat.

There is unlikely to be another bypass near the boiler found without risking damaging something.. Try the local handyman and be prepared for his simple solution to fit such a timer..There is too much variation in types of thermostat for him to commit to fixing that one exactly.

I just watched an installation video. It isn't like Hive which I'm familiar with.

There isn't a receiver like there is with Hive. For now it probably best to have your previous controller reinstalled.

• Advertisement

BTW. If you can find your zone valve for heating and set it to manual, it might give you heating for now.

Thanks, what would this look like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭XsApollo

They should be in your hot press, like a yellow ( usually ) box on the pipe. One for each zone and water.

there should be a lever on the side that you can move them manually, open it and the boiler should fire.

Like above. They can be white or silver also.

The lever/slider will be slow to move (will take a slow push of 10/15 seconds) about 3/4 way along its travel there will be a notch that you will need to lock the lever into. Have a look at YouTube for zone valves and find one that shows manual opening.

Excellent! Thanks both - you've saved the weekend!!

There are 2 yellow boxes beside each other, one on the pipe coming from the hot tank which I'm assuming is the water, the other being the heating.

• Advertisement

Yes. Give it a go. Remember there will be resistance, so go slowly. If you get the wrong one, just disengage it from retaining slot and go to the other one.

It'll be a bit of a chore turni g it on and off, but well worth it to have a warm place.

Looks like 1 zone for heating and one for water,

But if you have upstairs and downstairs each zoned, there should be another one lurking around.

I don't think this will activate the heating with defective climote in the system but I could be wrong.

For future reference or issues, if everything looks like it is working and your boiler isn't turning on or one of the zones doesn’t heat, then do the same thing again opening whichever one doesn’t work and see if the boiler starts heating.

those things fail, I’ve replaced a couple in my own house over the course of a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Tippbhoy1

This also makes no sense to me. Why would any change with a valve fire the boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭wiz569

Normally the Time clock sends a signal to the Motorised valves to open to supply heat or hot water or both, the corresponding valve/s once opened send a signal to the boiler to fire up, in this case the same thing happens once you manually open the valves.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Tippbhoy1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭skydish79

Our climote unit hub has given up working

The fact that climote has gone into liquidation is it worth getting a new climote unit or switch to another company like Hive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭youtheman

Remember that if you manually open the zone valve to turn on your heating you will be bypassing the thermostat. So you won't have the normal heating control that the thermostat offers. So when the room reaches the required temperature (or water) just slive the valve lever back the way it was originally.

Advertisement