Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning permission for Ground Floor Window to Side Laneway?

Options
  • 01-12-2023 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, I have an existing house with a 1m wide side laneway which has a 1.8m high boundary wall. I would like to put two windows on the side of my house facing the boundary wall. We already have one on this elevation at GF. Does this require a full planning application? Also if we externally insulate and the width of the lane is reduced by 125mm does this create an issue?

Many thanks

Olaff.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Technically not exempt from the requirement to obtain planning permission.

Have you somebody (an architect/engineer/other) to sign off on the work?

If so, would be up to them to advise you and form an opinion if they feel planning permission required.

Some may take the view, if there is an existing window, that the addition of further windows may be exempt under section 4(1)h of the planning acts, which states:

Development consisting of the carrying out of works for the maintenance, improvement or other alteration of any structure, being works which affect only the interior of the structure or which do not materially affect the external appearance of the structure so as to render the appearance inconsistent with the character of the structure or of neighbouring structures.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It needs to be 1m from the boundary it faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭standardg60

Is that a new regulation?

I've been down plenty of side entrances that were nowhere near a metre wide and several that have been externally insulated since making them even narrower.

No one has ever mentioned it being an issue when it was being done.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

No, not a new regulation, it’s as old as the regulations themselves.

The windows were probably existing and the EWI retrofit doesn’t alter the window position so no new or greater contravention.

Advertisement