Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiator Maintenance

Options
  • 01-12-2023 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've a gas boiler and traditional double panel radiators throughout the house.

Now the first cold snap of the year has arrived I want to make sure they are all working properly but I'm not that familiar with anything plumbing related.

I've a few queries I'd appreciate a steer on:

Is it fair to say that any radiator which is hot at the bottom but cold or less hot at the top is likely to have a an air lock and simply needs to be bled?

Is it also fair to say that any radiator which is hot at the top but cold at the bottom likely has a build up of sludge and the system needs to be power flushed by a plumber?

Finally, is it normal (due to hot water rising) that the top of a radiator will be hot relative to the bottom but so long as both are hot that is perfectly fine and nothing needs to be done? I tested one radiator with a digital thermometer after the system was on full blast for a couple of hours just so I could check all the radiators and the bottom of the radiator was 31c whereas the top was 36.5c. Problem or normal?

If I do have to get the system power flushed (it's a 15 year old system) is it a regular plumber I need to call and what can I expect the charge to be ballpark? I'm just asking for expectation management really. I value professionals so am happy to pay for the expertise where necessary but don't have a frame of reference for what the job typically costs say in the Dublin area hence the ask.

Thanks for reading.

Advertisement