Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek The Next Generation Pinball - what do do?

Options
  • 01-12-2023 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭

HI all,

I have a ST:TNG pinball machine for almost 25 years - I had originally repaired it and cleaned etc (basically shopped it) it back then and it's given very little trouble since.

Turned it on about 2 weeks ago and it's not booting.

The issue is with the CPU board - essentially D20 (the diagnostic LED) is not lighting which means it's most likely a CPU issue. I have no other machine to test the chips in to try and narrow it down. I've checked voltages and they are all fine and all other ribbon cables disconnected to the board and the same issue so it's definitely the CPU board that has the issue.

I had been considering selling it (as I don't use it that much TBH and could do with the space) but now when it's down and out I'm snookered.

So - do I try and sell it as is? I'm sure anybody buying it would want to see it in action so I'm not sure it's an option

Or do I repair and then sell (which could be expensive...)?

Either way - I have no idea what to even ask price wise

Any suggestions as to how to move forward?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭dav09

Sell it to me for 50 quid, it's all it worth!

Jokes aside, it's obviously worth a lot more repaired the not working, have you tried reseating all of the cables and everything? If the caps are old it could just be a cap kit.

But yeah, it could be an expensive repair (I've limited knowledge of working on pins, particularly older Williams ones but there are people much better here).

And if it was the right price I'd probably buy it as a project and I'm sure a few others would too as it's a good pin to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Yeah. I'll have to put the time in and repair it I think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Where are you based? PM me and I might be able to help.

I’ve no WPC machine at the moment but those MPU boards are pretty easy to sort on the bench once it’s not the custom, I think I did 2 recently for lazersteak if I’m not mistaken. And I’ve fixed the one in my old Fishtales too all without a test machine.

If you're just fixing it to sell you could also just buy a brand new rotten dog MPU for about €280 or drop €500 off what you’d be thinking as the asking price for it not booting. That gives a potential buyer more than enough for a new board. You can prove the DMD works as this should come on with the display rom version on boot when unplugged from the MPU once the DMD controller board is getting it’s 5v

I'm in the midlands, about 20 mins West of Mullingar. Where are you based?

Really appreciate the offer !

I've ordered a chip extractor on Amazon so I can extract and reseat the ASIC, if that doesn't work I'll probably take you up on that.

• Advertisement

I had a test machine at one stage but unfortunately no WPC games….for now 😉

Those boards are well documented and once it’s not the asic you can get lucky with a logic probe and a JAMMA/ATX PSU for power.

I think STTNG is wpc89 is it?

if so this diagram has helped me a lot when repairing acid(MILD) damage, I wouldn’t attempt a badly damaged board.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Cathal saved me a big bill with my judge dredd and theatre of magic. Definitely listen to him when it comes to boards.

Throw up a few pictures of the star trek pin. Have mine a good few years now and its a great game

Picture of mine from a couple of years ago

I'll have to see if I have any pictures - have you a colour DMD ?

I'm in the process of also changing the bulbs to LEDs also

I had planned in taking out an old ATX PSU to be able to bench test some stuff also

EDIT - found some - the one with the baby is me and my Daughter not long after she was born 14 years ago!

The other is more recent with some of the LED replacements done

• Registered Users Posts: 1 spacequeen

Hi, I'd be interested in buying this machine, if you are still interested in selling?

Advertisement