Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir ftth overhead install, do they remove the old copper cable?

Options
  • 30-11-2023 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Hi all,

can finally get ftth in a couple weeks and since it has to be installed overhead i'm wondering if eir will remove the old copper cabling and replace it with the fiber one. Also will they likely run the new fiber cable the same route as the old one? Will the old style phone + number work as before?

I can see a DP was installed on a poll right outside the property so it's just a matter of waiting now.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

they will disconnect the copper but not sure to take it out

your phone change over to voip via the modem with the same number

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Around my area they left the old overhead copper line in place, looks untidy with 2 lines to the house, a taut fibre line and a saggy copper line.

Now with a plan to decommission copper lines happening soon maybe they can remove the copper if you ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭ozmo

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Our previous neighbour just pulled down his old unused cable running full length of the back garden- very little holding it in - nothing was said of it - looks much better now.

No one will stop you taking down your old unused cable but the fibre install contractor may not do it on the day.

We cancelled our landline almost 2 years ago, I plan to remove the line from the pole in due course, just haven't got around to it yet. It'll never be used again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭GIMP

Just inform some of our Cultural residents they will oblige in copper removal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

I asked the Circet engineer when he was installing fibre for my parents and he said that they are not allowed to touch the existing copper cable as it belongs to Eir

Advertisement