Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Combi and immersion

Options
  • 30-11-2023 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Had my boiler service a couple of weeks ago and was told its on the way out. Its a Worcester Bosch greenstar 24i about 10 years old. Hard water area.

I was thinking of changing it to a combi system but id also like to keep the immersion and cylinder upstairs, is this possible ( or even desirable)

4 of us in the house no bath

Upstairs shower is electric getting water from the tank in the attic

Downstairs is gravity getting hot from cylinder in hotpress and cold from tank in the attic.

Also any ideas on costs

11 rads in 4 bed semi

Tjanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,953 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The idea of a combi is so you can remove the cylinder. You should go for a regular boiler if keeping the cylinder imo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Alkers

Why do you want to keep cylinder and immersion?

One shower is electric so won't be affected by combi (you should use the other one).

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭billgibney

Sound like I won't need the immersion cylinder then

Does that get taken out of just disconnected?

Is it much dearer for combi rather than a straight swap

• Registered Users Posts: 16,953 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Cylinder is removed. Combi is much more expensive than regular boiler. Combi boiler requires a pump to pump the water from the cold water tank and to keep equal pressure on the hot & cold. You may need pressure reducing valves going to power showers etc

Advertisement