Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TY history

Options
  • 30-11-2023 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering if anyone has ideas to make TY history module more inclusive to group work, the topics in eaach module are World War One and American history in 20th century, two huge topics and are of great benefit for LC history students to understand. I dont want them to become lectures though. I want plenty of student interaction, engagement and small group work.

Some ideas for this included, them doing research into mini chapters or sub topics within the topic such as Technology in WW1 or 1920s life in America. Do this research before the class maybe as a form of pre reading but it would need to be guided in some way because topics are huge, maybe give three or four key websites to visit or vids , podcasts etc?

Any other ideas to make it less lecture style wwhile in the class? I try not to focus overly on LC history case studies topics in American history more touch on them, explore lesser known topics such as Wall st crash and life before and after, rise of suburbia in 1950s/60s, Los Angeles growth in 1940s, New York City problems in 1970s and early 80s. De Industriallisation in 1980s in Rust Belt, that sort of stuff.

In general how do teachers find not trying to deliver lecture style classes in history? I know you need to still deliver information and explain to them. The school is very acadmeic with a good lot of students doing all higher level subjects so they should be well able for the topics.

Advertisement