Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Costs for Tae Kwon Do Classes?

Options
  • 30-11-2023 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, just wondering if you can give me some feedback please.

My daughter is doing Tae Kwon Do classes and has got to the stage where she is doing grading and moving up in belt classes.

I would like to get an idea of what the average costs are for both doing the classes and also the costs for the grading tests themselves. I'm very surprised at the costs my daughter's Tae Kwon Do gym is charging - both the regular classes and the belt grading tests.

Happy to give information on the costs the gym is charging but want to get people's experiences here first. Also, should there be much of a difference between costs for different belt gradings, i.e. coloured belts versus black belts?

My assessment is that the teacher is more interested in making money off the children than actually honouring the principles of Tae Kwon Do. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I'm not sure how much traffic there is on the forum, from TKD people. You might be better off emailing a few TKD gyms that you are not involved with, and enquiring about their pricing? That might be another way to obtain a comparison.

In general terms, from the point of view of other martial arts, your complaint is a common enough one.

If people have to pay fees for gradings on top of their regular payments, they can feel like they're being "nickel and dimed".

But also, charging for grading seems to be a normal part of the model of how these businesses operate.

My view on it is that if the classes and venue are professionally run, the coaching is good, and ideally if they have amenities like shower/toilet/changing facilities, then they can charge commensurately. I don't think it's inherently wrong for them to be profit-driven, as long as the students are receiving a good service.

Advertisement