Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help, don't know how to increase boiler pressure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi Sarah, I have the same filling-loop on mine. To refill mine I move both of the black valves so that they are in-line with the the pipe and not 90-degrees to the right of the pipe as they are in your image. That's what you were doing right?

You also have another valve there in the image which looks to me like it's mostly open, but you should check it:

Using a flat-head screwdriver move that valve circled in red so that the slot lines up with the direction of the pipe, so rotate it around 30 degrees clockwise. Then open one of the black valves fully, then slowly open the second and listen for the noise of the system filling. Leave it filling for around 10 seconds, close it, then check the pressure at the boiler. We're expecting to see around 1.5bar on that dial, right?

Additionally, couple of questions:

Where's that water coming from on the floor? Did you open a valve or unscrew the fitting near those black taps? Also do you commonly have low mains water pressure at the kitchen tap, and if so could it be very low just now?

Also, was that filling-loop recently installed, it looks newer than the rest of the piping?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 saz94home

Yes so when I screw the valve you have circled in red, that is where water came out from. Not getting any noise of water refilling with both black valves open and the screwed valve 🤔

Yes the filling loop was installed recently and my partner was just told that both black valves just need opening for it to fill (which doesn't seem to be the case). Also just checked the kitchen mains and it seems to be at normal pressure.

Post edited by saz94home on

It's called a double-check valve and it's one-way valve to allow the mains cold water to only flow into the heating system (and not the other way around). It should be marked with an arrow on a point such as this:

Can you see an arrow and does it point from the mains (coldest pipe in the hot-press) to the boiler piping?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 saz94home

So just had a look and the arrow is on the back of the lower valve as shownin the image below, has he installed it the wrong way round?

• Advertisement

Can't be sure, but based on a guess that the fresher/newer piping towards the rear is the boiler/heating and the older pipe to the front is the mains riser to the attic, then it is probably correct.

Others here might have other ideas on the matter but you're following the correct process to fill the CH system, but I think you may have a stuck check-valve. 🙄

You could try tap it briskly with an object such as the back of a screwdriver, I think it's the top one there, but try tap both then try the refilling process again. After that, it's time to put in a call to the plumber!

Advertisement