Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with a fair deal house

Options
  • 28-11-2023 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

My mother is soon going into a long term care home. Until now she has been living at the family home which she fully owns (mortgage cleared) since my father died a number of years ago.

When she moves, we can’t sell the house immediately due to the fair deal scheme, and neither myself or my siblings want to move in to the house as we all have our own family homes. None of us have any intention of being landlords and having to deal with what that brings (being responsible for tenants, upkeep, and so on).

So that means the house will remain empty. However, leaving it empty is basically letting it rot. That would be a shame as it’s a decent 4 bed in a good area in Cork City, and eventually when my mother passes the house would be sold to pay the fair deal and the rest split as inheritance.

Has anyone had a similar experience and have any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭gipi

Changes were made to the fair deal scheme last year to stop penalising people who sold their home.

If the house is sold after your mum moves to the nursing home, the proceeds will be assessed for 3 years only (same as the house would be assessed)

In the past, the money would have assessed indefinitely.

You could consider selling if that's the best option for the family

https://www2.hse.ie/services/schemes-allowances/fair-deal-scheme/3-year-cap/

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mrsgiller

My mam is in a nursing home and on the fair deal scheme. Two of her grandchildren have lived in her house at different stage, paying nominal rent which go towards mams personal care and clothes. It suits us all as it helps them save for house deposits and they look after the maintenance of the house.

Advertisement