Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not progressing

Options
  • 28-11-2023 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Ok so I’m employed by the same company for the last 11 years, the boss is good and work is ok but I seem to constantly be getting into a rut and loosing passion

we are in the plumbing and heating industry

problem is that I’m not progressing, for the last few years this didn’t bother me as much but now as I’m getting older I’d like to get more into management and come off the tools, the boss just doesn’t seem bothered about building the business which is fine as it’s his decision so that leaves me in the role that I currently am indefinitely, so do I now make the decision to leave my employer for a job somewhere else as a more senior role or just I make the call to give it a go myself,

while this is going through my head I do have a family to provide for and am I being selfish thinking I need to progress more, I had my own business back in the recession and I suppose I was immature greedy and eventually I just hadn’t the experience to stay afloat, I do feel I have matured a lot since then and now I could start over

the other thing is always a worry that the industry will slow down and then I’ll be fighting for scraps where as the current company is well established and I’m fairly sure it’s a job that secure for many years to come

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Can you stay in your current position but do some nixers on the side for extra cash? I know a few lads who do extra jobs for friends and neighbours in the evening time and they are raking it in. There is huge demand for heating and plumbing jobs and if you get your name out there as someone reliable, the work would start to pile on. Good luck!

Advertisement