Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holy Communion booked before our wedding

Options
  • 28-11-2023 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Bit of a first world problem here but wondering if anyone has had experience of this.

We booked our wedding for 12:30pm, the church contacted us today to advise they need to move it to 13:00 as they have booked a holy communion for 11am.

Obviously that changes plans significantly as our reception is a 40 min drive from the church so timing was important. Now also unsure how the decor is going to work as the end of rows need to be decorated.

Just wanted to check if anyone on here has got married straight after a holy communion service and if it went ok or if they have any advice.

The church have basically said like it or lump it so only other option is move church and we are only 5 months out now.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

No experience of it but from a practical point of view, if it's a large group, the ceremony will take say an hour, approx, then there's the photos inside and outside the church, and issues like car parking. Are they likely to have cleared out by say 12.30 before your guests start to arrive? If it's a small group, that's less likely to cause any issues.

Your florist/ church decorator will most likely have dealt with similar scenarios and will have the tricks of the trade at the ready to get stuff sorted quickly. Maybe your flowers could already be on the altar for the communion ceremony and they could then do the end bits as soon as the church clears?

If all else fails, and there is an alternative church, have a think about changing. Unless your heart is set on this particular one. And if it's communion time of year, that could be the case elsewhere too.

Not saying any of the above to stress you out, but just more so to think through the logistics, and what the likely issues might be, and ways to resolve them.

Check with the hotel as regards the later start, and any likely knock on effects - music and so forth. Again they are the experts at this and should be able to put your mind at rest.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Have the Church said what time the communion ceremony is at, and more importantly, what time it is over at?

Scrap that, I notice you said the communion is at 11am. Thats cutting it very fine.

People tend to linger after such things, taking photos and chatting and stuff. It would be a bit chaotic with them still clearing out and when your guests are arriving.

I wouldn't be pleased with the Church springing this on you. I'd move, if possible.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭rex_turner

I was at a Confirmation last year where there was a wedding in the same church afterwards - not sure of the times in between but the florist had decorated the end of pews and decorations did get messed about. No malice or bad intentions from the kids but still...

Also as we were leaving did see the groomsmen cars arriving and the car park was still very full

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

I'm not sure where it's on but I remember at times of communions and confirmations in some of our locals churches there would be the wedding decorations on the ends of the seats already so maybe they'll let you have that done wouldn't that have you well ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Go back to them and ask why the Communion cant be at 10am.

Point out that you were booked first, and presumably booked some time ago.

Tell a white lie and say your invitations have gone out, and if you have to change venue it will cost you for new invitations, as well as confuse your guests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 RoyKeaneNO16

Thank you all for your input. The church have been less than accomodating, we explained our point and the response was basically these things always work out but if you're not happy find another church. Was also thinking about the car park and stuff, my plan was to arrive at 12pm on the button, hoping people might get the hint when a wedding party arrives..but some people don't like hints :D

Would get over a regular mass at 11am but a communion is just frustrating, especially at such late notice, we booked the church over two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 RoyKeaneNO16

I like this idea.....I'll have to go to confession straight after telling a white lie to the church tho 😂

Advertisement