Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salvia cuttings

Options
  • 28-11-2023 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

It's been years since tried to grow anything from cuttings. Put 2 Salvia and one perennial wallflower cutting in the same pot in early September and have had them covered with a plastic bag ever since on a windowsill out of direct light. Once a week I water and then put the bag back on. I have no idea what to do next and when! The wallflower cutting has only tiny roots( as discovered today when accidentally knocked it out of the soil- reckon I didn't put deep enough in the earth . With the 2 Salvia cuttings which have grown since leaves as far as I can see, is it ok to leave them overwinter on the same windowsill and just try to transplant in late spring? The last time I tried cuttings, they rotted within a few weeks so I'd love for these to survive after they've made it so far

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If it has even tiny roots it should be good. Leave them as they are until either there are definite signs of new growth or its spring, then uncover and see how they get on. They generally only rot if there is no sign of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Bellie1

Great, so do nothing for now. Always the preferable option! Any chance could get away without the plastic bag over them? They're always at risk each time I remove to water as I'm very heavy handed! Thanks looksee

I'd suggest leaving the bag until there are definite signs of growth, if you feel they are looking active you can remove the bag. On thinking about it, it might be better to remove it if they are indoors as its not really the time of year for them to be doing much and they might be more inclined to rot with the bag over them.

Thanks . Should I lightly water once a week as have been doing the past few months? Googling seems to only take me as far as taking the cuttings but can't easily find info re what to do after they've rooted

Both are pretty tough and both generally prefer dryer soil, so keep them watered but don't let them sit in wet compost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 judithcrabb

Thanks alot!

Salvia cuttings have survived the winter, when is best time to prick out and put into their own pot?

Advertisement