Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book Suggestions For a Tween

Options
  • 28-11-2023 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, Does anyone have a suggestion for a book series for a 12 yr old, he has gone through all the ones I can think of and all the classics, he loved the Skulduggery Pleasant series and Darkmouth, is there anything similar I am missing that he could read, he reads a lot so I'm lost tbh lol. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Pistachio19

Rick Riordan has a few different series of books. My young fella loved the Percy Jackson series. He's also into Beast Quest book.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Bit late to this thread but it might be useful for people in the future (like next Christmas) but I would say that anyone who liked the universe of, and humor of, Skullduggery Pleasant would also find the series "Rivers of London" enjoyable. Both the magic and comedy would be very similar. Though in general I found SP simply all round much much better.

The London setting feels somewhat local in the same way Skullduggery's Dublin setting does. My kids (13g 10b) liked them all anyway.

If you want less comedy but similar fantasy then my kids very much enjoyed the short series of books about "Serafina" by Robert Beatty. A little scarier but my two kids above loved them also.

Great thing is that all of the above books SP, ROL and Serafina, I rather enjoyed myself too as I tend to pre-read certain books before deciding when to give them to my kids. So it's good when I actually like the books myself while doing so. My son is working through "How to train your dragon" books and I did not like them one bit. Read the first one and just left it at that. But he really liking them so I guess have to be mentioned too.

Oh and SP has a new book just out in the last week or two I believe. So I must get on top of buying that now. The first in a new trilogy. Thank for reminding me :)

Of course Discworld books, and Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy books are all obvious recommendations but will give them an honorable mention all the same.

Don't know Darkmouth but have seen them around. So might check the first one myself soon. There is also something on Netflix which was made from books which I am also meaning to check out. "The school of good and evil" or something similar to that. Sorry if I have that wrong.

Advertisement