Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deducting share losses against tax

Options
  • 27-11-2023 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭

So I bought shares (in a fund) through a bank years ago and was going to cash them in. Lately I began to dabble in stocks myself using an app, but I'm no Warren Buffett and the the shares are currently running at a loss.

Can I write off the exit tax of a fund against the losses of individual shares? I have looked at Revenues' site but I'm still unclear.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,086 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Capital losses on selling assets can be offset against capital gains from selling other assets.

The capital losses can be carried forward from previous years.

I'm not so sure about losses on funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

If it is subject to exit tax, then the loss on a fund is ringfenced to that fund. Extremely unfair but that is the rule

If it is subject to CGT, then a loss on any asset can be offset against another asset. E.g. if you held onto AIB shares that are now worth pennies, you could sell the shares and realise that loss, and offset it against the gain on the sale of your rental house

CGT losses cannot be offset against gains under any other tax heading (income tax, exit tax, etc.)

Stocks in individual companies would typically be subject to CGT, but most funds are subject to Exit Tax

Advertisement