Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private Military Contractor

Options
  • 27-11-2023 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello,,

I wanted to ask if setting up a PMC in ireland is legal, and what the process is to go about setting up.

And also,

I seen the pmc training offered at ESA and was wondering if the training would be recognized globally or would it only be in the countries within the ESA.

What would be your guys’ recommendations on going about this, what training would be more adequate, and the registration process.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Check with Jarry first.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

There are no "countries within" the ESA. The European Security Academy is a private, commercial, provider of vocational training with, so far as I know, no sponsorship by any state or government. Like any other provider of vocational training, they can apply to have their courses recognised/validated by national qualifications bodies. That would be a course-by-course thing; different courses offered by the ESA may be validated by different qualifications authorities and some may not be validated at all. That's something you'd have to investigate in relation to the particular course that you were thinking f taking.

Setting up a private military contractor business in Ireland would be fraught with difficulty, not least because of our very restrictive firearms legislation. Pretty much all training and exercises would need to take place outside Ireland and I think weaponry would also need to be kept outside Ireland, and of course that would have to be done in compliance with the law of the country where it happened. Given all that, what would be the point of having the legal establishment/head office in Ireland? Why not just establish the company in the country where it's going to operate?

SFAIK there's no law in force in Ireland that would prevent an Irish person going to another country for the purpose of joining a foreign army (unless it's the army of a country at war with Ireland) or of entering the employment of a private military contracting firm (unless that firm was providing services to a country at war with Ireland) or of training at an institution like the ESA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Contact Crime & Security Branch in Garda HQ.

They'll be very interested and tell you everything you need to know. Be sure to furnish a list of your contacts and potential suppliers too.

Advertisement