Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bar counter ideas

Options
  • 27-11-2023 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Need a solution for a bar counter for my man cave, counter will be 2540 long with a 700mm return, so L-shaped, main body of bar is just 4*2 covered with MDF so it will sit on top of this, would a piece of planed white deal 225*50 look okay if was oiled or varnished or would it look a big scabby

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭bfclancy2

Here is the bar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭10-10-20

White deal will take marks / scratches too easily in my opinion. Some of the architectural salvage places have ideal oak beams with live edges which might suit.

• Administrators Posts: 53,374 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What about an Ikea kitchen counter top? They have the butchers block style that might look decent?

not bad, in clare so dub a bit of a trek and its 60 euro delivery fee, i've kind of done everything DIY so i'm looking for some creative solution that i could maybe do myself and still look good, the live edge stuff might be an option, i'll check out the local salvage yard, what would a ten foot live edge hardwood plank set me back ordinarily

• Administrators Posts: 53,374 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm sure local kitchen suppliers would have similar in stock. The IKEA one is just veneer, obviously solid would be a lot more expensive.

Something like that with some Osmo on it would look good I think.

• Advertisement

So i am gonna go with a 9*2 temporarily, friend of mine has a lovely piece of live edge oak for me but needs another 6-9 months drying so it will do in the interim. The worktop at 600mm was just a bit too wide for my liking, i know i could have ripped it down to a smaller size but then this lovely piece of oak popped up so i couldn't refuse. What would people recommend i finish the white deal with? An oil or a varnish? Hope to be in for christmas. Been a very enjoyable project, started last june, 12K all in from start to finish, all DIY, its not perfect but its good enough

Advertisement