Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identify a SNES game

Options
  • 27-11-2023 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭

Does anyone remember a SNES Christmas game where one of the levels was like an R-Type clone, where you would shoot presents at oncoming baddies? You were Santa Claus in your sleigh and had the reindeer pulling you and for some reason to had to shoot presents at baddies.

I don't think the whole game was like this, just the 2nd level or something.

I was Googling it and found some game called Daze Before Christmas but it doesn't seem to be that, even though it has a side scroller level where you drop presents into a chimney, as opposed to firing them at baddies coming from the right of the screen. I remember it wasn't as "zoomed in" as that. Like it had a higher resolution, or smaller sprites, and you were higher up in the sky.

I can confirm it existed, even though there's no trace of it online and nobody else really remembers it. It was on a cartridge on a real SNES back in the early 90s, so probably wasn't a hack or bootleg, but who knows. I can even remember the Christmas music being played over the back of it. It actually belonged to a friend and we'd go to his house to play it on his SNES. He remembers it too (so i'm not crazy) but can't remember the name either.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Are you confusing it with some Amiga game by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Yeah, after all the talk of SNES, he told me he had a C64...

Two seconds of searching and I found this:

This is not to be confused with a game of the same name on the Amiga! 🙄

Answers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Would it be one of the parodius or twinbee games?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

This description fits the side scrolling levels of Daze Before Christmas way too well for it not to be it. The only difference being the presents are going into chimneys rather than before fired at anyone.

You're not going to get another Snes game that comes anywhere close to that description as Daze Before Christmas.

Is it possible you are mixing it up with another shooter from the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Scoring absolute worldies from the halfway line on Sensible Soccer, livin'.

It kinda looks like Parodius but only in the sense that its an R-type clone. Twinbee looks more like 1944. It definitely wasn't a vertical shooter.

The level was a pure Christmas level. I can't remember the rest of the game but I remember it even had Christmas music. I think it was "Sleigh Ride" (Prokofiev - I had to Google the name of this song).

You're making me doubt myself now! 😉

The facts are, it was not my game. It was my friends. I'm sure he only had a SNES so it couldn't possibly be an Amiga game. We used to go to his bedroom and play Mario Kart, Super Scope, Street Fighter II, among others.

I'll ask him did he get a loan of an Amiga for a while and maybe it was that. Is there an Amiga Santa Claus game that matches the description? That would explain why I've been unable to find it (and i've searched a few times over the years!).

• Advertisement

Glad you got the answer. I just thought if it wasn't some SNES game it was more than likely some weird European game!

Ye me too. It was driving me demented trying to find it. I'd gone through hours of Christmas-themed crappy SNES YouTube videos, mostly walkthroughs of Home Alone and Daze Before Christmas. Even ChatGPT couldn't help. It guessed "Santa Claus Saves the Earth", and "Home Alone 2"!

Although I learned there's a Christmas cheat code for Donkey Kong Country 3, which is nice...

Master of the Universe

Ahhh so we have the Amiga as a possiblity!

In that case it was probably Psycho Santa, check out the sleigh / shooting levels:

Never heard of Psycho Santa but I think the kids would love that actually. Will add it to the list 😁

Master of the Universe

Is it not the game you're trying to remember? Scrolling sideways Santa riding a sleigh firing presents at someone! Even has a Parodius kinda vibe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭geotrig

The "answered" system on this thread seems to have messed it up and replies are all over the shop , thought I was going mad reading them in the sequence they are in !

Master of the Universe

Sorry, that was my fault. I had marked the other post as the answer and it moved it to the top. Boards doesn't give much visual indication that its the answer, like on other websites so its easily missed.

But ye, it looks like it was Santa's Xmas Caper, specifically the C64 one. There's an Amiga one with the same name but seems to be a different game altogether.

Advertisement