Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish winner of the booker prize 2023: Prophet Song by Paul Lynch

Options
  • 26-11-2023 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭

Was announced tonight. Sounds an interesting premise but I really liked The Bee Sting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭rogber

I honestly wonder if the riots last week tipped the vote in Lynch's favour. The reviews for the book were actually mixed and in the run up to the prize the strong consensus seemed to be that Bee Sting was the best book on the shortlist. But the Booker judges love something topical to make the prize look politically switched on and Lynch may have got a bit of luck with what happened last week, now everyone saying "see, fascist Ireland isn't an unrealistic premise!"

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

Haven’t read this and to be honest am always a bit cynical about “relevant” and “urgent” books, the messaging often overwhelms the plot and characterisation. But maybe I’ll give it a go.

I’m currently reading The Bee Sting which is funny and enjoyable if very reminiscent of a Jonathan Franzen novel (not that that is a bad thing)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I was looking forward to reading this but the stream of consciousness zero punctuation writing style is really getting on my nerves now, having to reread whole pages because of it, it makes the whole thing unnecessary hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Having finished this now Im glad I did, it definitely packs a punch, could have done with a bit more detail about what was actually happening in the country and hated the aforementioned writing style right to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Deleted

Post edited by cloudatlas on

• Advertisement
Advertisement