Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nordmende 'Full HD' TV still showing BBC's 'you must upgrade' message onscreen

Options
  • 26-11-2023 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

My mother just bought a 40" Nordmende Smart TV. The main reason she changed was the old TV was running off an SD box and when she watched BBC half the screen is covered with that message telling you to get HD. She figured she might as well get one with a built in tuner and all the apps. Fella at the shop told her it was an HD Tuner built in.

The BBC still has this message and I don't think any of the channels look HD. It's just running off a freesat aerial.

Is there anyone can tell me what the issue is, and is there a better TV to buy for her needs? I swear to God any time I don't go with her to buy something technological she always buys something that there is a problem with (usually because she goes for the cheapest option instead of the known brands like I would always go for Samsung or Sony).

Also she watches a lot of that channel called Really and of course that is no longer coming in on the new TV, the only channel she lost is basically her favourite one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

Are you still using a sky box or satellite receiver or Is the tv connected to the satellite dish. You will have to tune in the BBC HD signal either through the box or tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

TV is connected to the dish. Me Ma went back to the shop and asked and the fella told her, 'Oh, you need to tune it in.' I don't understand why he neglected to mention this when she specifically asked about getting rid if the 'you need to upgrade' message, does he think people buy new TVs every week? She's in her 60s, like. And these brick and mortar shops wonder why no one bothers any more. It's not just because they're more dear you get no customer service in them any more so what's the point?

Of course I'm now being tasked with doing this tuning in which I actually don't know how to do either but I imagine I can look up on YouTube or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

What is exact make and model of TV? A Freesat certified TV may be a better set up but do you want Irish channels too on the same TV? Combining Irish and UK channels on a TV is not easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

I wasn't gonna be able to go over and try do it until today so she got fed up and took it back to the shop and they tuned it yesterday but they charged 20 quid for it!

Advertisement