Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revez HDTS800

Options
  • 26-11-2023 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi,

My in-laws are relatively old and technology inexperienced. They recently bought a new Samsung SMart TV and asked me to set up. Their previous TV was hooked up to a Revez HDTS800 Saorview box. They had channels such as RTE 1, RTE 2, BBC 1, BBC 2, Channel 4 i.e. a combination of Irish and English channels. UTV was on as a channel but it said 'no signal'.

They did a factory reset of the Revez HDTS800 and they asked me to set it up. When I did the autoscan I was only getting the Irish Saorview channels like:

Tithe Oireachtas, RTE 1, RTE 2, Virgin, Sky News. The English channels such as BBC were not on there.

I plugged the Sat Coaxial cables directly into the Samsung TV and it was able to scan for the English channels but obviously didnt search/find the Irish channels.

My in-laws only want to watch the relatively basic channels. RTE 1, RTE 2, Virgin, BBC 1, BBC 2, ITV, Channel 4, RTE News.

1. How do I tune the box so that I can get these channels?
    2. Or am I better off getting a newer/better TV box for them?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Plug the TV aerial directly into the TV as well, and scan for terrestrial channels. No need for any box if the TV has satellite and terrestrial tuners.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Fernagx

Hi

I did as you said. I can get both terrestrial and satellite channels. However not at the same time. I.e. I can only get one or the other.

The TV is a Samsung CU8070 smart TV.

Do you know how I can tune it so I can get both terrestrial and satellite channels at the same time? Or is there an easy way to toggle between satellite and terrestrial channels?

Get totally familiar with all the menus on the remote. Off topic but it would be useful to find one which shows signal strength and quality readings.

This may be no good, but it is a Samsung help forum and the topic is changing channels. You could Google for more. And if there is a manual have a read of that.

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/shortcuts-on-remote-to-change-satellite-tv-to-terrestrial-tv/td-p/2552859

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Some Samsung TVs can be complicated for switching between Terrestrial and Satellite, especially for the non-technically minded.

That Revez box sounds like a combo, with Terrestrial and Satellite on the one channel list. Plug both the Terrestrial and Satellite feeds into the Revez and use a HDMI cable from that to an external input on the TV.

Advise the users of the TV to just use the TV remote for switching the TV on and off, changing the volume and the selection of a source to access the output from the Revez box.

You may have to do a Satellite autoscan on the Revez to get the Satellite list up to date.

Post edited by StreetLight on

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Fernagx

Thanks all. I worked it out.

The TV came with a small remote. You hold the 123 button and then it gives you the option to change from terrestrial to satellite.

All sorted now

• Advertisement

I see that 123 Shortcut is detailed on Page 71 of the e-Manual. Also on Page 242 is this useful info. I have a bit of a hobbyhorse about people knowing their signal readings.

"Diagnosing TV operational issues. You can diagnose issues with your TV and Smart Hub and run reset functions. Self Diagnosis Menu Settings Support Device Care Self Diagnosis. You can use the Picture Test to help diagnose video issues and the Sound Test to diagnose sound issues. You can also view signal strength information for over-the-air digital signals, test the Smart Hub network connection and run the Smart Hub and TV factory reset functions."

https://www.samsung.com/ie/support/model/UE43CU8070UXXU/

There are 268 pages in the manual. In case anyone doesn't know, you can seach the manual (from a PC keyboard) by Ctrl+F and type a word/phrase into the dialogue box. It is good to get familiar with the menus on the remote and the screen. But modern TV's seem to make it difficult to access the basic stuff about broadcast channels, and they concentrate more on apps.

Advertisement