Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to Munich for Oktoberfest

Options
  • 26-11-2023 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

I am not sure if this is the right forum for this question. A friend of mine would like to go to Oktoberfest for her hens. The price of accommodation in Munich is looking extortionate for the weekends of Oktoberfest next September. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good alternative to Munich for a proper Oktoberfest style celebration?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭AhhHere

Lots of towns in Bavaria have their own volksfests. Which are similar to Octoberfest but on a smaller scale. Ie Stein's of local beer, leiderhosen, bratwurst, stalls, fair grounds, live music.

They're great craic and better fun imo.

They happen different weekends in Sept/Oct.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭AhhHere

Here's a good list for you to check out.

https://bavaria.travel/listicles/bavarian-folk-festivals/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭Patser

The Cannstatter Volkfest in Stuttgart is Germany's 2nd biggest festival, but much less touristy. Been there 3 times now and always great, brilliant set up as just at side of City in dedicated fairground area, beside the Stuttgart Football stadium and also the Mercedes Museum - so you've a market and funfair on site as well as possibly a match. Again it wil be busy especially weekends - so a midweek trip is much cheaper but quieter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I was at one in a place called Konstanz which was really good. It's a beautiful area too around the lake, if you go make sure you visit the spa/pools on the lake, fantastic.

Advertisement