Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building storage in eaves space

Options
  • 26-11-2023 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hello,

I am looking at building storage inside eaves space.. House is a dormer type. Upstairs room could use more storage. I want sliding door across the storage space. I cut a hole to have a look, there is enough space for what I want.

My question is in regard to joists under the window to which plasterboard is attached. Ideally I would like to remove most of them. (Probably will leave 3 evenly spaced out)

Are these load bearing? as in do they support the window? If I remove most of them what is the best way to add support?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,837 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Jesus Christ, call someone who knows what they are doing before you do anything else.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm not a builder, but I'd guess the joists are there for a reason, not just aesthetics.

Put the tools away.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Sunjava

The joists are there as support. You may be able to replace them so that you have a bigger opening between them but a builder will be able to advise.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,024 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

They don't support the window... They support the roof!!!!

Do not do anything until you get proper structural advice

Post edited by sydthebeat on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I am not a builder, but you would be better off incorporating them into your storage.

Find a door that's narrow enough to fit between them, then screw the door hinge into one of the uprights and the door latch into the next one. No reason to remove them unless you need to store things that are physically large.

Is the space in behind that even insulated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Shoog

Be careful to leave an air gap between the roof felt and the back of your storage, blocking it will cause damp/rot. It's bad that there appears to be no insulation in the eves and whatever you do needs to remedy this whilst preserving the ventilation space. This will significantly reduce your scope for creating storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mGrove

Ok seems to be a general consensus here that those joist support the window which supports the flat roof...

I am still not convinced that there is no way of removing some and adding support structure.. but I think that advice would be better seek from a certified struct engineer or architect. Maybe I was under false impression because these joist are same spec, and fixed in the same way as normal partition walls joist, you can do what want to a certain degree.

Plan is to add insulation to joist and add rigid insulation between rafters leaving 50mm for air as recommended.

Hahaha. Don't know why but this was funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭10-10-20

No one is saying that it can't be done - it just needs to be done right as it's an engineered structure. No part there is redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭phormium

No there are not there just for the plasterboard to have something to stick to like a stud wall, I have similar roof and there is a couple of access panels which are double width we'll call it, as in one timber was removed and cross brace put in instead to give a bigger opening. But that is only done twice in a 50ft length of roof supports.

I actually had to open another access few weeks ago, roof leak unfortunately, but I only left it at the space between the supports. Unless done right you will have a lot of cold air coming in from all those openings. Mine are sealed as good as I'd imagine it can be done and still a bit of a cold feeling comes in around them. I am just about to go crawling around the side dormer space of my attic fitting extra insulation, there is some between the uprights already and a thin layer between joists but adding a good layer extra as you wouldn't believe the cold breeze coming down through downlighters under that space!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

A builder might say it's as easy as doubling up the support on the two adjacent uprights and adding an extra brace under the window.

I wouldn't trust online advice when it comes to the fabric of your house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭10-10-20

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭AnnieinDundrum

We have storage built into the eaves like that. It’s well insulated and has an insulated door (which cost a fortune). Also light and flooring. But it is “attic storage”, not a cupboard.

I’d find a decent builder and chippy

Advertisement