Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommendation for first time Electric purchase c.€40k

Options
  • 26-11-2023 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi - I have a 211 diesel hybrid with a trade in value of c.28k - so I'm thinking of stepping into the world of electric. I've c.€12k to add - so am looking at a price bracket of about €40k of a 241 all electric. I would need the height of a small SUV as have knee issues - what would people recommend?

Also - what is ballpark price of installing a home charging unit?

TIA

DFS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Home charging unit about 600 euro after grants

What do you drive now and do you want same size again in EV? With knee issues I'll just point out EVs have no clutch if that makes a difference to you, just right leg needed. Could be obvious but saying it anyway.

If you have 40k for a brand new EV there are a few but not too many with height of an SUV

Hyundai Kona

Kia Niro

Both SUV/ crossover this is hard to define, but I can't see them helping out at all over a hatch or saloon

Others under 40k are ID3 (maybe) and the Chinese brands of smallish hatchbacks. Everything else is well over 40k, especially anything big and high.

Look on the used market but you aren't going to come up more than a year for 12k for anything that suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DFS UTD

thanks - I've a Tucson at the moment. Looking for highish driving position - not necessarily big as such. Was looking at Kia Nero and Hyundai Kona electric. BYD Atto 3 looks lovely but not sure about the brand/reliability/parts etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,430 ✭✭✭eagerv

I wouldn't worry with BYD, they are putting long warranties on their cars. And if we are similar to the UK there will be a big increase in dealership locations.

Another car worth looking at is the Ioniq 5. Looks like a big retro hatchback, but very comfortable for getting in and out of. Also agree that the ID.3 is a good height as well. Even some of the lower EVs such as BYD Seal, Model 3 etc aren't too bad with electric easy entry/exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Consider a used EV to minimise the cost to change as depreciation on EV’s is pretty hefty at the minute. A home charger price is very dependant on your house wiring, distance from consumer unit/meter etc. You’ll get a grant of €600 but you’ll probably end up spending another €600/€700 on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,681 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The new Peugeot E-3008 will be out soon if you can wait and it has a really good range. Not bad looking either but that is down to taste.

Jeep Avenger might be in your budget but it's a bit smaller than what you have or the new Fiat 600 which is basically the Avenger with Fiat styling and badge.

Opel Mokka-E as well is another you could look at.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

Imo best buy atm is the BYD Seal, which is just being launched. Excellent battery and specs, €44k or so for design spec, €50k for dual motor. I am sorry i bought in august, I would buy the design spec of this instead if I had held off. I don't need or want the acceleration that the dual motor one offers, though if that's your thing I guess it is alot of extra power for a few grand more. Plus the HUD in that model that displays on windscreen sound cool, and with the 0-60mph in 3.7 seconds you could put the top gun soundtrack on spotify and imagine yourself in the movie :P

You could also get a tesla model Y for around the same price, though not a top spec one.

Be aware insurance costs can be higher and I had trouble insuring kids on my new EV because it was in a much higher insurance risk band. I managed to after calling around a bit. Radio this morning mentioned MG have a temporary price drop and EV4 is currently €28k which sounds like excellent value.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I don't think the Seal fit's the bill of the seating posistion, Atto 3 is their crossover, and closer to op's €40k price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

Quite right, i had forgotten that part of OPs post. Well for what its worth OP the car I bought in August was the Atto 3, no complaints with it, though as mentioned if I were buying now I would pay the extra few K and get the seal. But I don't have knee issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,682 ✭✭✭✭josip

Wouldn't you get the best trade in deal for your Tucson if you go for a Kona/Ioniq 5?

What are the Ioniq 5 lead times at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Advertisement
Advertisement