Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a small crack in a shower floor like this an issue ?

Options
  • 25-11-2023 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,679 ✭✭✭✭

We have a wet room style shower and I see one of the little tiles has a crack, it’s away from the shower head so wouldn’t have any direct flow of water but could it be an issue and if so what best to seal it ?

Post edited by Cyrus on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi, personally I'd leave it be, the wet-room should be tanked under the tile to prevent water from penetrating and that crack can't spread as it's isolated to one small tile and surrounded with grout. If it opens up and becomes a void then I'd remove it and replace it with a spare, but I'd like to think that won't happen as it's so small.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,004 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Would epoxy resin be good to seal it?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭XLR 8

Clean and dry the crack using a hairdryer. Get a shade of cheap nail varnish to match tile colour the apply a couple of coats to the crack. Make sure it's dry before you put 2nd coat on. TBH I'd just leave it but I'm lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Yes, if you dry it well enough. The epoxy should wick in quite readily.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,641 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Varnish may wear off , epoxy wouldn't I'd go with that. Although it's like 10 euro for a small 2 part. You can reuse them though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Epoxy probably the man for the job or maybe a small tube of the gorilla waterproof caulk/sealant that's already mixed for a few quid

• Registered Users Posts: 7,836 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Epoxy is the best choice alright, I have a double stringe of it that is still great for small jobs after being opened a couple of years ago. I picked up a few packs of it in Lidl recently, I think it was priced about 3 euro.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I'd dry it really well (fan on it) and then see if super glue would wick into the crack?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,836 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Epoxy is like super glue on steroids, better off to use something that is specifically designed for the job.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Epoxy is thick thats a very small crack how much do you think you'll get into it? Theres a chance if its dry that super glue will wick all the way into the crack.

The other stuff I'd use - it really exists - is Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure.

You normally use it when you know you have a leak on a boat or caravan. I found it brilliant to stop water getting into the boot of my Ford Focus (water gets in along tiny cracks between panels). It does need redoing occasionally but if you seal the bottle and only use it on hairline cracks or where you think there are leaks it lasts for ages. Again it wicks into the crack and seals it on the inside.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,641 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Epoxy can be blown into the crack with a hairdryer set to cool.

Masking tape up all around crack easily done.

Advertisement