Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on on Orlando/Disney/NASA

Options
  • 25-11-2023 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

The youngest of the 3 kids is now just old enough for a stress free flight to the US. (14, 12 & 7).

I would love to bring them to Orlando for 1 or 2 weeks to see the Space Centre and 1 or 2 of the the major theme parks and would love to hear some tips from those who have done such a trip.

1. Hotel or Self Catering?
    2. Rental car or not?
    3. Smartest way to purchase theme park tickets. We would not do these every day.
    4. Smartest way to do the Kennedy space center. Is there more than 1 attraction/site to see here?
    5. What else to do apart from 3&4 above? Is 2 weeks too much?
    6. Are there any nice National parks similar?

Any other advice or tips appreciated.

Thanks,

Wavey.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

I've been with the kids - a bit younger than yours.

2 weeks is doable - but it got fairly repetitive after the first week.

I'm not sure on the disney / Universal tickets - they are not cheap, the wife sorted them out but what I do know is that there are a million ways of buying them and prices vary massively. There are tickets that give entrance to both parks - you think you won't use them every day - but you will use them most days as with kids there isn't a whole pile else they will be interested in.

Car hire is a must - and in florida it is reasonable enough.

If you can - go self catering as generally the choice of resturants around orlando is pretty poor and mainly just fast food and chains - unless you go well out of your way.

Kennedy is handy to get to - just drive there early in the morning and you'll get a full day out of it.

I've been to orlando once and i've no interest in going back again!

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Measure the 7 yr olds height, u might get caught out in some of the rides if they a particularly small 7 yr old. Imho Ur older will b bored by Disney after a few days especially as universal has more outdoor big boy rides. We did Disney only on the ,14 day magicpass ticket youngest was 6 oldest 12. We squeezed every penny outa it. Stayed off site less than 20 mins drive from MG and only 10 from AK but 40 from universal which we didn't go to. If you want something different try Saratoga on west coast, white beaches laid back.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭XLR 8

A long time since I was there but the Space center ticket was valid for a month as there is just no way to see everything in one day. Theme parks are like theme parks everywhere else. I'd suggest a drive to St Augustine and maybe the Keys. Mozzies are everywhere and relentless so get a good bug cream. There's a lot in Florida aside from the usual tourist stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 jmcgold

We're planning the same trip. My thinking so far is:

1) Self-catering: Seems a better option in terms of cost and comfort. Provides you an alternative to restaurants and usually you get a lot more space. Ideally going with a townhouse.

2) I normally always hire a rental car wherever we go, but for Orlando we're going to go Lyft/Uber. Overall it is cheaper as you don't have parking/toll/fuel charges and rental prices have increased substantially. Also, Uber/Lyft get to leave you closer to the entrance at several of the theme parks. I like driving in the U.S., so took a bit of convincing to sway me on this.

3) This is what I'm doing research on at the moment and there doesn't seem to be any way to avoid forking out a fortune for them. At the moment I'm looking at a 7 day pass for the disney parks and then maybe a one day ticket to universal. The cheapest price for disney tickets appears to be on the irish disney holidays site - but there's only a 100 euro or so in it. Biggest cost of the trip.

4) While not planning on doing Kennedy this time, I did it with mates over 20 years ago. We did a day trip from Orlando and it was fine. Give yourself the day, it was great back then and they've added stuff since. Always check the launch schedule before you book anything - they're great to watch, but also some stuff might have limited access during these windows.

5) Two weeks in Orlando, unless you're a theme park junkie, is probably a few days too much. Tampa/St Pete's on the coast is very nice if you want to break it up with a bit of beach holiday.

6) There's the everglades, but it's a hell of a trek. Not sure of anything near Orlando.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

Thanks all for the tips. Forgot to check back for replies!

It will be just me and 3 kids so Uber sounds like a great idea to keep the stress down. I need to focus hard when driving on the right.

Anybody done a holiday like this with only Uber?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Always had a car in the past in Orlando, we are there again in May 25 & decided it was Uber/ Lyft this time for a couple of reasons,

My own research suggests that it works really well over there, generally short wait times including on arrival at MCO

As mentioned, car rental including appropriate insurance has got very expensive, based on the rides we will need, it will be cheaper

As I was always the only driver, I can now chill back at base & not have to endure the shopping days

As regards some of your other questions,

1 A hotel room is going to get real small real quick, I’d suggest a 3 bed pool home / 2 bed condo

3 Theme park tickets are expensive, no way around it, buying one day tickets for different parks is the most expensive way to do it at park entry about $100 per person per day, better off buying a ticket bundle this side of the pond. If you are actually only going to do one or two parks then choose Universal, two theme parks plus a water park, a third park is currently under construction, probably cheaper to buy 14 day Universal park to park tickets for everyone

5 Two weeks isn’t enough for us but we love the parks

Other advice - have very deep pockets, a split stay between an on-site universal hotel & pool home or condo may be a good option

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

Any ideas on how to plan the trip to catch an actual launch?

The event schedules only seem to show dates over the next month or so.

Im planning on late august.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 danielsk

You definitely gonna need a car. Self -catering - too much with the kids, would consider hotels . I would probably give a call to this norfolk international airport customer service and see what kind of car rental options they offer (in case you have your flight to this destination of course)

Post edited by danielsk on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

self catering need only be breakfast before you head off for the day plus you have a lot more space, a lot of the breakfast buffet places are gone now so it’s mainly sit down, seem to remember I thought breakfast out was the least value money wise, $40/$50, dropping over $300 for breakfast for a week for four before you even get to a park, a lot of kids only want toast, cereal in the morning’s anyway, okay for your non park days,

A trip to Publix or Wallmart for some breakfast items / snack & drinks to keep in your fridge is no biggie to do & a lot cheaper plus should really hit the parks early as possible

Bring small snacks into the park with you in a small cooler bag for the kids if you want to keep them going.

some hotels have breakfast included but I’ve no experience of them

Advertisement