Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should I do to progress my career.

Options
  • 25-11-2023 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi, I was wondering if any of you might be able to give me some direction in what I should do.

I started in 2018 and worked a year in a practice where all I did was answer the phone and some very entry level tasks, which seemed to be done the most inefficent way possible. I was given minimum direction from the partner and due to te way the senior staff were paid, they had an incentive not to push me on or let me do more.

So I left and went to another pratice about 5 years ago. In that time I have complete the exams and have started the CTA course.

Heres the problem for the first two years I did my data entry, VAT returns, payroll and drafted files to my then senior review - no tax work.

Then about two years in, I was put under a different senior and they took on another trainee and told me that I would be pushed on, that she would be doing my bank recs , VAT etc and that I could be doing files and pushed on. This didnt happen and I ended up getting some of the stupidest tasks I have ever seen (archiving the my enquiries ... really?) in addition to answer the phone also, my accounts work slided back and I ended up doing mostly VAT. Very little drafting. To be honest I get that the phone has to be answered, but this was ridiclous, it was like I was the only person who knew how to work it. , talking 30-40 phone calls aday.

This carried on until I was moved under a different senior, where I drafeted files, coded an posted and started doing tax comps for sole traders for partner reviews. This carried on for 2 years up until last August 22 where they took on another trainnee that was to do all the VAT, PAYE and bank recs for me, this lasted a while up until another trainee left, at this point she was taken from me and I ended up doing the VAT and bank recs again. This has been the case for the last year atleast.

During the deadline just passed I drafted plenty of files, put out **** tons of fee notes, loads of tax comps ready to go to be filed and yet again Ive been promised that Ill be pushed on, but I dont believe them in the slightest.

I feel like at this point I am constantly being held back. They constantly hire the worst people they can find, they train them up, promise me the sun moon and stars and then the new hire decides they dont want to be an accountant. I want to start doing companies and to get pushed on get more experience but I dont think its going to happen. I did an interview about 6 months ago, if anything just to know how things were going for me, we dont do performance appraisals. The interviewers jaw visibly dropped, I have all the education but my experiience is shite and its not going to get better if I saty where I am . (In fairness, I did absolutely **** u the interview .... blanked when he asked what a Form 1 was and didnt explain myself propery when he asked about a few other things).

I have al the exams done but my experience isnt worth **** after 6 years. The problem I have is, I cant leave because I dont think I count as part qualified and I cant qualify without more experience, firms looking for people that are part qualified want you to be able to do more than I can. I just dont know what to do.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It is not clear from you post as to what your actual status is. Which institute's exams and training scheme have you been following? Were you specifically taken on as a trainee and did you sign a training contract? Having past the exams and received five years experience, one would expect that you would have applied for membership by now and your training record would have been reviewed. Have you done this, was your training and experience rejected for membership?

As for career progression, does your firm have the business opportunities that would allow you to get the type of experience you are seeking? And in any case where to you want to end up? I trained with one of the big four about 4 decades ago and as far as I know none of the 20 odd graduates that joined with me ended up as a sole practitioner or partner in a firm. So you might want to think about where you want to go and what you need to do to get there.

Advertisement