Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making the ultimate low budget work from home desk

Options
  • 24-11-2023 9:14am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Like many others since Covid I find myself working from home a lot. Trying to work on the kitchen table was a short lived disaster so I threw together a cheap and cheerful solution. When it became apparent that WFH more often than not would continue for a very long time I decided to make the ultimate (budget) desk. This started by getting an old desk from work delivered to my home, this desk was due to be thrown out. The only part worth saving was the solid box section frame.

When stripped back it looked like this:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The next step was to buy some nice hardwood marine ply for the top and sides:

Next holes has to be drilled to allow cables to pass through:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

6mm bolts with domed heads are used to secure the sides to the box section frame:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,540 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Are you going to have a hidden drawer underneath or cable channel? To hide the clutter?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Sweet. It's going to be heavy-as-hell with that 18mm ply, but it should last a lifetime.

I was actually in Woodworkers there last week and was quite surprised by their selection of edge veneers. Some nice options there if you want to improve that ply-edge. The one thing to note if you're a keyboard/mouser is that you'll need a good solid edge on the area around where your hands lie so that you don't catch skin or fabric on any rough edges.

I installed wire-cages under my desk where I pop all of the PSU's and network cables so that they aren't around my knees, I also have installed a good protected power-strip (12 outlets!!) and a small network switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

It looks like you got the ultimate low budget desk for free and then splashed out on a sheet of Marine plywood for no reason at all.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ooooh, snarky matron!

Function over form - he's getting far more now than what that original table-top was offering. Plus, it's a good DIY project.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭DC999

I love that, but wouldn't fly with my other half :)

Love it too. But I know how sharp those blocks are. You'd be covered in cuts from it.

• Advertisement

Maybe :)

Though some of these desks have quite a bit of flex. Makes the screen wobble. So a heavier stiffer top would improve things considerably.

LOL!

True but wouldn’t be allowed in the house by management. It would have to look a bit more respectable.

A shelf is required for the laptop. Just one USB C cable plugs into this laptop. Once this lead is plugged in it instantly connects to the following devices to the laptop:

• Wireless keyboard
    • Wireless mouse
    • 2 external display screens
    • Web cam for Teams calls
    • Desk speaker phone
    • Bluetooth headset
    • Wired Ethernet connection
    • In addition it charges the laptop

A single power cable plugs the desk into a local socket, this powers all desk mounted devices. In addition to the above this also includes a Wifi point, desk lamp and induction charger for a smart phone.

@Flinty997 I have installed "finger trunking" under the desktop for cable management. This is the grey boxing that can be seen behind the laptop.

The finished varnished desk. The monitor on the left is an "ultra wide" screen.

Yes, it is very heavy.

Can you post a picture or two of your setup?

Post edited by 2011 on

Advertisement