Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22WMR - .22LR Adapter.

Options
  • 23-11-2023 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where a .22LR adapter for a .22 WMR can be bought. I presume it is safe to use an adapter designed for that application.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

TBH any machine shop could run you up a few of these in brass,I had one of these years ago and it's not a great thing. The .22 lr shell is prone to rupture in this adapter and gives a lot of gas blowback,so safety glasses are recommended. The .22 LR isn't a tight fit so it wobbles down the barrel with corresponding rubbish accuracy.I've heard some folks have even used .22lr shells in cut down and cut off 22WMR cases with about the same effect.In short I'd rate it as a stopgap device to use if you are out of 22WMR and just have a few 22Lr shells handy.But not an ED shooting device.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Removing such a sleeve from the chamber,would it be a problem?

Depends on what you are running I guess. It was in a break-action rifle shotgun combo and occasionally needed a knife blade to help extraction. Dunno about any other actions.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

I will try it with CCI Quiet ammo. They are not too powerful and pressures should be low

Would there be any chance of the WMR case rupturing and causing problems down along the barrel?

• Advertisement

Do you mean the .22LR cases?,yeah they can rupture giving you the gas blowback, hence my advice on using safety glasses. Will they affect the 22 Win Magnum gun?No! They are well capable if in good condition of handling anything a 22LR can do in them.Wil the 22LR damage the rifling? No different that what goes down it in 22 magnum.Just that the 22LR wont really be getting great rifling engagement so it wont be a tack driving sub MOA rifle with this in it.

No. The WMR case. If used as an insert. As the .22 LR bullet passes through the WMR case could it break the WMR case.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭freddieot

Would you not need a second licence for the firearm ?

If the original cert says 22 WMR for the rifle with one type of 22 ammo allocated, WMR, is it not an issue to use a different round, even if it is .22 LR ?

I know a separate licence is needed for an extra barrel in a different calibre but I'm unfamiliar with these adapter situations.

You could be right there.

Yes, you do need a separate license if it is a different calibre. It's classed ASFIK as a separate barrel. However, if you have both separate licenses for a .22WMR and .22LR...

No. The WMR case. If used as an insert. As the .22 LR bullet passes through the WMR case could it break the WMR case.

The .22lr case will possibly rupture but it won't affect the insert, which in these calibre sizes is more like a thin tube cum shim than anything substantial

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭freddieot

Grizz, even if you have separate firearms. One an LR and one a WMR I don't see how it would be allowed to use either round in either rifle.

The licencing is for a specific firearm with a serial number. If what you ate saying were correct, I could use my mod on my 22 handgun even though it's solely licensed to my 22 rifle. A cert is specific in all details to the firearm it licences.

Surely the 22 LR round can only be used in the firearm that is licensed as a 22 LR.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

AFAIK if you are firing a caliber out of a firearm which is not listed on the firearm's cert then it is not legal to do so.

IE you can fire 45 long colt out of a lot of 410 shotguns, but even if you had a 410 shotgun and a 45LC lever action licenced you cannot fire the 45 in the 410 without it being licenced appropriately.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

Possibly, but aSFIK there is no specific legislation stating such. Otherwise, it would be impossible for a combination rifle/shotgun /drilling to be licensed here. As you can have 2or even 3 different calibers being used in the same gun and in many cases being held on one single license.DESPITE what the law says!As in my case with a Savage combination gun and numerous debates here about it being unlicensed to use the 20 GA as it isn't licensed. Yet AGS seem happy to keep licensing it as a rifle despite me trying to point out this to them for years, and I still can buy 20Ga ammo for it too. This seems to be a superintendent's discretion point[Despite what the law says]. Some will license it as a shotgun, others as both or all calibres, others as a rifle.When I inquired off the Park about this. their statement was that when this legislation was drawn up, things like combination guns and calibre inserts were unheard of so it is left in the fog of Irish firearms legislation and the local Super top decide.

The licencing is for a specific firearm with a serial number. If what you are saying were correct, I could use my mod on my 22 handgun even though it's solely licensed to my 22 rifle. A cert is specific in all details to the firearm it licences.

Different situation.If your handgun license has the S on it. There is nothing stopping you using one silencer on either gun if it is the same calibre The silencer is registered to you as a "firearm" in its own right on the gun's license.ASFIK the silencer details[serial number, make etc] aren't included on the gun details itself in the PULSE process. All that shows up is that your handgun and rifle have a tick for Silencer use not a particular silencer registered to that particular gun. If of course, you are using the silencer on an unticked gun...

Finally, as I stated they ARE a licensable component anyway under the EU directive,as they are classified as a different calibre barrel/receiver [?] As are any conversion kits So this is now an academic/moot point.

I think what threw you was my statement. However, if you have both separate licenses for a .22WMR and .22LR...? Should have explained that better. As in, you need the license for the unit but are covered for both calibers to posses the ammo for such as well...if that makes sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,025 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm not encouraging it. I've never done it. But I've also seen people (online) machining the rear of a WMT case to use as an 22lr adapter.

The idea is that using a fired case from your firearm, means its fire formed to that specific chamber. The WMR case is 5.8mm internal, which is pretty close to a 22lr chamber (5.74mm). So the fit is loose, but not too far off. The lands should be 5.6mm, so it will bite, just. As Grizzly said, won't be a tack driver.

The license is for a specific firearm with a serial number, But nothing is proposed to impact the serial number. Or the terms of the license.

I don't think the mod example holds up, as using a mod on a handgun is specifically restricted in the legislation. So you'd need a restricted handgun license with S on it. Which AFAIK, doesn't exist. A better example with be two rifles, both licensed, mods approved, S printed on license. And then the user swapping the mods. I don't believe that is not allowed.

A WMR license allows you to purchase WMR ammo. A 22LR license is required to purchase 22lr ammo. Which is what Grizzly was clarifying. You need to be licensed for both to posses both cartridges.

I'm not 100% sure it's that straight forward. I've can't recall ever reading specifically said you can only fire the cartridge on the cert. It does say you can modify a firearm to fire a larger calibre. Obviously that is illegal. But a lower calibre that you are licensed to posses is perhaps a legal grey area -

I agree you can't fire a 45long colt in a .410 shotgun. But that's because it's restricted ammunition on a number points : handgun cartridge <.22r, restricted firearm, and in shotgun its a slug.

A better example would backwards compatibility between two legal calibres. Like .22lr and .22short (or 22long). AFAIK, the law is not clear cut on the legality there.

Obviously restricted, but straight wall revolver calibre have similar family's that are specifically designed to fire their shorter brothers. These would include .38 Special in a .357 Magnum, and .44 Special in a .44 Magnum. Worth point of they are difference cartridges but the the same calibre (bullet diameter), as are the .22 family above

There are a couple of .22 pistol owners here on boards with the" S" on their unrestricted lics, and I know of two other people with "S" on their pre-08 CF pistols. So it is a doable thing. Getting a can for either type of lics that is.

An "S" on a CF pistols pre-08 was prior to restriction of mods. So there was many a case of them being grandfather - total speculation.

An "S" on their unrestricted license. I've no idea, other than the law says it should be restricted. Each of them would have to be across their own paperwork. If they're happy they are covered, then they are happy. But should also bear in mind that being granted a license doesn't indemnify the holder if it was granted in error outside of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cosieman

Own a unrestricted mk iv with a mod on it with a s on my licence no problems. Hopefully im fine

As I said above, the license doesn't indemnify you in the case where it's not the right license. I know that makes no sense, but that's the law.

A mod on a pistol is restricted. So it seems you have a restricted item, licensed on an unrestricted license. What that means legally I can't say.

How long have you had it? Pre-restricted SI and you could argue it was grandfathered. And thus didn't need a restricted license when applying.

Advertisement