Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shelly dimmer 2 and light switch advice.

Options
  • 23-11-2023 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

So I'm getting work done to my house mostly the kitchen. So I want to take advantage of this and put in some smart relays switches. We are putting dimmers in the kitchen.

I asked the electrician to run neutrals to all the new light switches which he is happy to do. I was about to pull the the trigger and order some shelly dimmer 2's. However some last minute research came across a problem.

You can t use the traditional knob dimmer switches with theses relays (I believe they are called rheostat switches). I did some research on reddit and found that the solution is to use "momentary switches" where you dim or lower the lights keeping the button pressed (see the kink below for an example).

https://store.leviton.com/products/15-amp-120-277-volt-decora-plus-rocker-double-throw-ctr-off-momentary-contact-single-pole-ac-quiet-switch-commercial-spec-grade-self-grounding-back-side-wired-white-5657-2w?variant=42426985283814

Now obviously this response probably came from someone in the US. My question if I got to the election and ask him to put in something like this (I will be buying the relays myself) how likely is it that these types of switches and readily available in Ireland?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

You can order them from screwfix and plates to go with (https://www.screwfix.ie/p/varilight-powergrid-10ax-2-way-grid-retractive-switch-white-with-colour-matched-inserts/27120).

Admitedly, I only bothered with that on one of the dimmers (living room). For the en suite it's got a normal wall swtich and dimming is done by home assistant according to time of day. The kitchen light fittings also have shelly dimmers with regular switches, but the home assistant tablet is on the wall in the kitchen if changes need to be done. Given my OH is not a fan of home automation, this is still working out really well (I put simple dimmer choices on the tablet)

Advertisement