Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social housing and savings

Options
  • 22-11-2023 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi, I'm not sure if I'm asking in the right place as it's harder to navigate on my phone than on my laptop.

If you've been on the council house a few years, and you finally get an offer.... are you allowed to have some savings put by and if so what's the max amount.(With DCC and a family)

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭shashaela

Did you get the inheritance while you were already living in the council house or did you have it before you got the house. I know if you're already in the house they can't do much and have no reason to know or find out, but what if you have it in savings account and then they finally offer you a house and request bank statements. I'd be afraid after waiting all these years on the housing list that they'd withdraw the house offer and remove us from list

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

From Citizen's Information

The Department also provide guidance notes to local authorities with further details about assessing income for social housing support. For example, savings are only relevant to the income assessment if they generate an income for applicants, by way of dividend or interest. If you are looking for information about any income you have that is not included in the Household Means Policy you should contact your local authority.

My reading of that is that if savings are just sitting in a bank, they are not considered as part of the means test.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/local-authority-and-social-housing/applying-for-local-authority-housing/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

My two 'just sitting' accounts have both become interest bearing again - at a massive 0.1% and 0.2% respectively so basically nothing after DIRT on the amounts I have in them - so this might become a problem again for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭shashaela

Would it really become troublesome for people if the amount after interest and dirt is almost the same as before dirt? Its not like any of us normal folk would gain enough interest to live off the interest 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1 banshee104104

Have you heard back on your application? I wondering the same re savings

• Advertisement
Advertisement