Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a pair of wireless Bluetooth earbuds for running

Options
  • 22-11-2023 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

My new running watch has Bluetooth Music capability.

Sometimes for long runs, a podcast or some music might be nice

Can anyone recommend a pair of cheap and cheerful earbuds that area suitable for running?

I had a pair in a drawer, but they're useless for running, as they keep popping out every few hundred metres.

I'm hoping that people here might have some good recommendations.

TIA

MtM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

I'd look for open ear ones like aftershokz, highly recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Aftershokz are always highly recommended.

I was gifted Samsung Galaxy earbuds about 2 years ago and they're going strong, never fall out and decent battery lift etc. A bit like these

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

For some reason I really like the very cheap "over the ear sports" ones. I mostly listen to podcasts too on long runs.

Unfortunately they do not seem to last more than 6 months. Usually after about 6 months one of them will suddenly lose about half of its maximum volume. I still use the single working ones around the house - not running - as I prefer not to use 2 headphones at home anyway. So I am still getting good use out of those!

But they are so cheap at under 20 euro that I am happy to order a new set every 6 months. Especially as I now have 3 charging boxes from the headphones that stopped working so I never run out of charging cases.

The ones I kept buying are:

I found the sound fine and they really stayed perfectly in my ears while running and never came out. And if I needed to hear something I could pop the bud out of my ear with a flick and leave it hanging on my ear. Which is useful to keep hands free.

I also found them really comfortable to the point I went looking for them one evening for about 5 minutes before I realized they were actually in my ears.

Due to black Friday someone bought me and gifted me a different set which I will probably use tomorrow morning. Slightly more expensive but they were at 65% off so a friend bought them as a surprise for me. Perfect timing as my Donertons are just over 6 months old and like clockwork the right ear has suddenly lost half the volume again :)

I can report back tomorrow on whether I liked them more or less than my usual ones if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

They are ok in country areas but you may struggle to hear the podcast if you are running near traffic.

Mine stopped working after a few years and they wouldn’t be cheap and cheerful.

i bought them because whatever is wrong with my ears, earbuds are not an option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Another vote for the Jabra Elite series. I have a pair of the 7s and have just ordered a pair of the 4s as a backup. Sound quality is very good and they have pretty effective noise cancellation that can be turned off at the press of a button.

The new headphones I mentioned above seem good. Tighter fit. Better buttons and the LED battery counter is good. I think I would not pay the full price for them. But for the 66% off Black Friday price - they seem pretty perfect for my running needs anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I've ran this summer with a pair of Lenovo x3 pro bone conductive headphones from AliExpress. They are just under $20 delivered

I thought I'd treat myself to a pair of shokz open run when they were on offer over the summer, they were £90, and they really didn't seem to be any improvement. They looked nicer, but didn't seem to sound any better. I ended up returning them.

I did my entire marathon training block with the Lenovo and they were perfect. Even on 4 hour runs etc so battery was pretty good

Please note for your use case though that I have a Garmin with music too, but I run with my phone for the live tracking feature. I haven't actually been able to pair it to my watch for some reason. I haven't tried all that hard but definitely didn't work when I tried.

If anyone is buying them, make sure to get the "pro" version, apparently the non pro are not bone conductive

(I can't copy a link on my phone without making it an affiliate link)

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Thanks @witnessmenow @taxAHcruel and everyone who replied.

Between the Donerton earbuds and these xinwld earbuds, which would you go for (only a quid of a difference)?

sorry, I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to Bluetooth earbuds.

seems to be a big discount on the xinwld ones, bluetooth 5.3 etc.

MtM

I dont know those ones so I cant say. But for me personally I would only go for the ones with the over the ear piece for holding the earphone on/in. For running I just find it better and less likely to fall out. So for that reason I would not choose the xinwld ones above myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

I used to wear the earbuds when I first started running and have lost at least 2 or 3. They were only cheap so I could kind of live with that. I did get a pair of the Sony WF-1000XM3 Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones and lost a couple of lives when I dropped one whilst running at night. I was luckily enough to find it but I took them back to the shop then next day and replaced them with a pair of Shokz open runs. The Shokz stopped working after 10 months and I am currently in the process of trying to get them replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Without doubt, and having experimented with most of the ones mentioned above with varying degrees of success, the best wireless earbuds for running are Beats Fit Pro. Rock solid bluetooth connection (in both buds, which is not always the case), Noise cancelling or passthrough mode, excellent in ear stability, long battery life and great sound quality (Aftershokz sound like crap).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

+1 for Jabra Elites

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Thanks everyone.

I ordered the Donerton wireless earbud in the end. Got the Black Friday discount. Supposed to be arriving tomorrow. Delivered for around 18 euro.

Some of the suggestions look interesting, but definitely not in the "cheap and cheerful" category 😀

I'll let you know how I get on.

MtM

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭left_hander

I have these and found them great, cheap as chips and good battery life.

I prefer the loop over ear because mine keep falling out otherwise.

How did they go in the end? Mine still working fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭TheRef

I have just had a second set of Shokz OpenRun Pro replaced under warranty. The first lasted 13 months and the second 4.

With the first pair, the sound on the left side was operating at about 20% of the volume of the right, and with the second set it was the opposite - the left side was about 10% of the left.

I fully expect this third set will stop working by year end and with it being out of the 2 year warranty period, there is no way I can justify buying a replacement pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

My Lenovo x3 pro from AliExpress are still chugging along nicely about 9 months later, for $20 delivered you can't really go too far wrong.

I have bought myself a spare pair for when they eventually break, but so far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭macchoille

I’ve a pair of Shokz openRun and they’re grand for running. Have them nearly a year. Hopefully they don’t cause issues like other posters.

I also have a pair of plantronics backbeat fit. I have them years now (pre Covid). Sound quality is much better than the Shockz but they don’t let as much ambient noise is (but still ok).

I go with the Shokz usually because it means I can hear the traffic perfectly if I’m running on a hard shoulder or where there’s no footpath etc.

Advertisement