Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy new motorbike at the end of the year, bad idea?

Options
  • 22-11-2023 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hello, about to purchase a new motorbike (CB500F) and thinking if it makes sense to do it now or wait a month or two and do it in 24.

Does having a 241 makes a big difference to 232 in terms of re selling it? I wouldn't be selling it for many years (if I ever do).

Could I get a better deal if I get it now instead of waiting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Wheeliegoodtv bought a new Triumph recently and will register it in Jan 2024. Can't use it of course until then. Check out his channel on Youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭amargar

So it has to stay in the dealership? Unless I can transport it myself I guess

He brought it home in a trailer and it's in his front room

Assume that's not an option for me as I can't transport it, is there any advantage to buy it now? Could I get a better deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

End of year is a great time to buy a new bike.

I've bought my last 2 at end-of-seasons September/October and reason is simple:

It's end of Sales Quarter, and bonuses for that quarter (the last busy one of the year) rely on getting stuff sold by then. Especially if there are manufacturer rebates available (some of which are passed on to the customer). You'll get offers extras like panniers, heated grips etc etc too.

It's coming into winter: they don't want stock on the floor and want an empty showroom to put new stuff into, in January

If it's a run-out model in particular, they don't want the new & older versions side x side as it highlights the price differences in the new. That said, if you don't give a monkeys about where they put the stripes on the new one, or just plain like the exisiting one, they'll be delighted to talk to you.

For me, there is no downside. Registering a new bike at end of year didn't affect the values of the ones I sold by one iota 4 years later.

If you see a bike you like, they have it in stock, drive a deal: they're keen to deal is my experience.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

Thanks for your response, I'll discuss it with the dealership and see what I can get, I assume there's no room to get a discount on the bike and the room is on the extras you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭geotrig

bike could already discounted youd often see some that get a few hundred off here and there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Honda have 1500 off the nt1100 at the moment. Waiting on my new one hopefully this week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I had a look at prices locally vs EU and noticed Dubiln prices are over €3k more than in a dealer in France, which is about third of the price. Sure, there is VRT and transport on top, but still the gap is substantial to be left unnoticed.

Anyone here that bought a new bike abroad and can comment on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

I'm very surprised it was released by the dealer. I thought since "FOR REG" disappeared many, many moons ago (who remembers? :) that it was definitely not allowed to release an unregistered vehicle/bike to the owner.

• Advertisement

Need to take it up with Triumph Dub or with the buyer, I know nothing :)

Channel is well worth a sub, few enough irish motorbike youtubers about

Issue I found with continental sellers for new is that some have to reg it to sell it. It's tied into their sales figures (based on registrations, not just 'sales'), so they wouldn't get any 'brownie points' for exporting without registering it first. And then you're into the realm of handling the VAT. Some continental dealers I tried simply didn't want the hassle of it.

Finally, I didn't find the bikes on the Continent to be any cheaper -in some countries (e.g. NL), actually higher.

Honda M50 have a range of offers off new Honda's for end-of-year atmo.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement