Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for Newbie Seller

Options
  • 21-11-2023 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭

I’m looking for some tips on how to sell a highish value item safely without getting scammed. Basically I have a brand new still sealed MacBook that a family member received as part of a course a couple of years ago but never used. They now want to sell it and while I haven’t settled on a figure for it I can see refurbs of the same model going for €700-800.

I’ve only ever used Adverts or Ebay to purchase items and never to sell, nevermind something with a decent value and resale potential. Therefore I don’t know enough about potential scams and so I’m wondering what’s the safest payment method to ensure somebody can’t just do a chargeback or dispute and make off with everything? In person or revolut? Is PayPal seen as too buying party friendly during disputes? (I vaguely remember that being a thing years ago)

Thanks for the advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I sold on Amazon, Discogs and Ebay over the years and had two simple rules

1/ Everything was sent by registered post - no exceptions.

2/ Items were extremely well packaged so that damage could not occur in transit

Payments were made by Paypal. Didn't have any claims albeit I only had two Ireland-based buyers in 20 years.

Bank transfer is safer for sellers (payment cannot be reversed without your authority) but a lot of buyers won't do it as they don't have as much protection.

Advertisement