Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leveling an upstairs (timber) subfloor for spc vinyl planks

Options
  • 21-11-2023 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

My upstairs landing floor dips by about 9mm over the space of 2 planks. So basically a have one area of floor that's 9mm higher than the remainder, both of these areas are flat and are separated by 2 sloped planks that join those areas. I hope that makes sense!

Lifting the boards and raising the joists is beyond my skill level. Is it possible to get a self leveling compound that can be used on upstairs floors?

I was thinking of laying a 3mm sheet of hardboard over the lower area, seal any gaps with silicone, and pour a leveling compound on that. Would that work or are there any better ways to tackle it without lifting floorboards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭embracingLife

For laying leveling compound on porous surfaces including on timber it's best to put a primer before pouring the compound. Generally it'll say on the bag what sort of primer to use.

And there's a fast setting compound too so it will dry faster than standard compound.

Post edited by embracingLife on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

There is high build levelling compound that will fill the entire height difference for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Trying to bucket in and pour compound upstairs in a living house is a recipe for disaster.

Not going to work anyway, theres just going to be too much movement in the floor on a landing.

bite the bullet, Get a smart old handyman in to lift the boards and trim or build up the joist, and then 9mm ply and a few nails is all is needed.

Advertisement