Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating a single room - LPG boiler with hive in place already

Options
  • 21-11-2023 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

We have a modern condensing LPG boiler in place in our home. We have it split into two zones (upstairs and downstairs) with Hive smart controls.

LPG is much more expensive to run than gas and currently works out to the equivalent of 16.5c per KWh. It is still cheaper than we are paying for electricity.

We have a big living room space that is open plan with the kitchen and is really hard to heat up. My wife spends most of the daytime in her home office which is a downstairs bedroom. Unfortunately the radiator in that room is too small to heat it well. We want to try and work out the best way to heat that room on its own during the day.

The walls of the house have been recently pumped and that room is reasonably well insulated. So once it heats up it does a reasonable job of retainig the heat. The only issue is getting the heat into it.

I've been looking at getting an electric oil free radiator (my wife can't stand the smell of oil filled ones) to heat that room. Is this the cheapest way to do this with respect of running costs? With our Hive system there are individual smart thermostats for individual radiators. I can't quite get my head around how these work. If we stuck one of those in that room would it cost less to run with that radiator on than the entire downstairs zone? Would that work out cheaper to run than an electric radiator?

I was in a local hardware place the other day and the guys behind the counter recommended these EvoVolt EVRads. These are more expensive to buy outright (€420 for a 1500 kW model) but the chap in the shop was adamant they were much cheaper to run. He said this was because of the thermostat in them turning them off when they get to temperature. As a typical Dimplex heater also has a thermostat I couldn't get my head around where this was going to win out. Am I missing something or was he selling me snake oil?

Advertisement