Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TY Work experience

Options
  • 21-11-2023 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there,

I'm a parent of a TY student, and haven't been successful in getting him work experience. I've reached out to about 10 organisations, but to no avail. A couple of contextual points:

• The way the school is running it is that it is every Tuesday for the year. There are no block weeks of work experience placements.
    • My son is not very interested at all in school or in getting a work experience placement, so has done nothing to help with the search, and expects his parents to organise it all. There is a possibility that he may have ASD, but we've unfortunately not been able to get a diagnosis as of yet due to financial limitations.
    • He has a big dependency on screens, so is spending his Tuesdays in bed on his school iPad. We've tried to limit his time on the iPad but this leads to escalated bad behaviour which includes school refusal.
    • I feel like the school has no real interest in kids like my son, so is not doing much to help this situation.

What I am wondering is. Does the school have a duty of care to those that don't get WE, and should they be making the kids that don't get a placement attend school instead?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Nick

Advertisement