Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding traditions

Options
  • 21-11-2023 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

I'm getting married next year. It'll be a ceremony and the afters in a hotel, with a guest list of about 150 people. We're not having bridesmaids or groomsmen but my partner's brother and sister will be our witnesses for the ceremony. I vaguely remember hearing about wedding traditions like giving flowers to the mother of the bridge. Are there any traditions or gifts that I need to do? I'm keeping the wedding quite simple. I'd rather not go over the top with gifts and traditions but I don't want to offend or upset anyone either. Are there any essential traditions/ gifts that most people would expect? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭JoannieG

"Are there any traditions or gifts that I need to do?" It's your wedding so do what you and your partner want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I hold very little truck with wedding "traditions", most of them are outdated nonsense. I have a friend who's currently wracking her brain trying to pick five bridesmaids because her fiancé has five groomsmen and is ADAMANT that the bridal parties have to match.

If any of the traditions are particularly meaningful to you, then by all means observe them, but tradition for tradition's sake (especially the ones that have connotations of ownership 🙄) can get in the sea as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The Bride is adamant they have to match, or the groom is and has decided on 5.

If the former, then that's really on the bride. But a bit silly from the groom tp be insisting on symmetry when he's the one going larger.

I just asked my grooms men, I had 3. Misses had an easy 2, but struggled to decided between two for the last spot. Told her to just have 4, problem solved. People get very stressed on over expectation

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The groom is insisting on symmetry. She'd happily just go to the registry office or elope.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

groom-zillia!

If he care that much about symmetry, he didn’t need to have had 5.

(obviously tongue in cheek, assume having 5 was his priority, AND then symmetry)

• Advertisement
Advertisement