Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a door, or pair of doors, in timber for a 3.4. wide by 3.5 m high ope

Options
  • 21-11-2023 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭

I made a pair of doors for a 2.4 wide ope before so have some idea what I am about, just some!

They were c 50 kg each..

Doors will be mounted externally

The width between the sticks is 3.4 m and I am raising the wall, currently 2.4 m to 3.5m in a material to be decided .

They are vertical, just the picture is skewed.

Was looking at a roller shutter but it requires at least another 600 mm over the ope which would bring the all to 4.1 plus, which in block would be, IMO, too much load for the foundations so am considering a TF add on

There is also a further complication in that I cant buy a steel lintel without an engineers sign off on the loading...

Could look at a steel door but want to explore the timber idea first.

Will probably put in to 4m lengths of 4 by 4 box to act as jambs

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Plenty of steel lintels on marketplace without the need for a sign off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks, The design has moved on a bit now, current plan is to fit roller shutter externally, using two 200 by 90 by 30kg/m PFCs set into a reinforced foundation and tied back to the wall. This gets rid of the need for the beam as the r/s will be welded to the 90 face of the PFC

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement