Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freeview box issue?

Options
  • 21-11-2023 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,827 ✭✭✭✭

My previous setup for a Freeview recording box (Manhattan T2 R) was the aerial cable coming from the rooftop to a splitter/booster with one of the leads from that booster going to the Freeview box and obviously a HDMI cable from that to the TV. When I was getting a new aerial fitted earlier in the year I asked the installer if we could have another lead from the booster going straight to the TV which would allow us to watch telly without the box having to be turned on or on standby all the time. This was done but I have now noticed that recordings are failing. Everything else on the Freeview box is working fine.

So what are peoples thoughts on what the issue might be, Could it be the box or is the lead from the booster to the TV causing some sort of loop? I would be obliged for any comments/observations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Is there a way to check signal levels on the box , if to weak it may not record.

The more a signal is split the more it drops.

Usually one can also check signal on tv if its getting fed by aerial.

I have my Saorview from attic aerial to in on box and out to tv and i get Saorview on the tv as box has an RF out.

Maybe the Manhattan only has an in ?

Check cables for braiding touching centre core or are cables crimped

• Registered Users Posts: 45,827 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thanks for that. Now that you mention it I tried the current setup in the past and the picture quality through the box was brutal but I put that down to the old rooftop aerial. I had a new aerial and cabling done earlier in the year but as you say the splitting of the signal could cause issues.

The box has a "loop out" port. I'm assuming that's the same as RF out. Would using this make a difference? I'll have a look at the cables and picture quality later today.

So after a few checks and tests it looks like the problem was the booster I was using. I ordered another one from Amazon which arrived today and having fitted it I have another problem.

The Freeview box I have displays a blue light when switched on. When I ran a fly lead from the booster to the Freeview box the blue light came on even though the box wasn't even plugged in to the power socket. So essentially there is some form of electrical current coming from the booster to the box and that cant be right. I emailed the manufacturer this evening and hopefully I'll get a response tomorrow.

Anyone have an opinion on why the booster appears to powering the box in some way?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭swoofer

That booster is only useful for sending a good signal around the house, if the signal is poor from the aerial then it will just boost a bad signal more.

Your aerial fitter should have tested the signal after the fitting but that's another story. I would not expect the booster to send a current to the tv or T2. Have you tried the other outputs? I would rate it as faulty. If you go to menu on the T2 and go to help it will have a signal meter and you can check how good the aerial is by plugging aerial directly into the T2 and see what you get. Then check when its tuned into booster and then check with booster power.

The best solution, and the aerial guy should know this, would be to have a masthead amplifier and then using the so called booster but its really a distribution box to send signal round the house.

That T2 is good and from the off you should have had aerial to T2 then another lead from T2 to TV if TV has a freeview tuner.

Labgear used to do a good tv booster/distribution box.

I have my method a masthead amplifier with passthrough 3 way splitter at the amp on aerial pole. This is powered from wall be main TV and has one TV out that I could link to a booster but dont require it as tv leads go direct to TV.

The amp is PRO reception.

this is the type of labgear one

F connectors are the way to go, no loss or very little

When you have checked signal and are you sure you have correct aerial, do you know how far you are from transmitter, have other houses aerial with a little black box underneath!! Send back that faulty one and get the one I linked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I did wonder if a sat cable was attached with voltage been on it.

• Advertisement

Thanks swoofer for the detailed reply. To answer a couple of points raised....

I call it a booster or booster/splitter but yes, in practice, it is a distribution box and in fairness I never really needed a "booster" as the signal is strong in this area. For a few days last week I had the aerial connected to a little 2 prong splitter (no power) and TV's in sitting room and kitchen were getting perfect signals.

The aerial is a "high gain" type and receives Saorview and Freeview signals. Im a bit less than a mile from the Ballybofey Saorview transmitter and about 12 miles from the Strabane Freeview transmitter. A few neighbours have the same type of aerial but I dont see any box/amp attached.

I checked the signal strength and quality in the Freeview box when connected directly to the aerial and when connected via the booster and Im getting 100% on everything. I dont think I would need a masthead amp as really and truly it was more to send the signal around a couple of rooms in the house that I bought the "booster". I suppose I was used having one of those over the years when signals werent just as strong.

I did have the T2 Freeview box set up as you described but as it wasnt really being used much I got a cable in running from the booster direct to the TV. That was sone as part of an economy drive I suppose.

Finally when I asked the manufacturer about a small bit of power going from booster to T2 box this is what they said....."The outputs of the Booster range have power (voltage/current) so that it can power things like infra-red eyes as used on the older sky legacy boxes some other equipment also use the powered outputs

So it is normal and safe however if it concerns you then a DC Isolator (We don’t supply but TV and satellite dealers should have them available) can be fitted between the amplifier output and the Freeview receiver to prevent the power being passed to the receiver"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭swoofer

Well that's an interesting one in that with box totally isolated a small voltage can get through!! I would be like you a bit concerned but sky magic eyes were very popular one time these were powered via RF2 and I assumed when box was in standby then the eye would still be powered but its only mili amps. I think you have just discovered a feature not many are aware of😁. I would contact Manhattan and hear from the horses mouth.

go here and click on problem, I'm intrigued and would like to know as well.

https://manhattan-tv.com/support/manhattan-t2-r

But can we assume that your signal problems are sorted and its only the booster query remains?

I read the thread about your aerials etc and that was very interesting. Still think it was a poor installer😂.

Let us know what Manhattan say. I'm going to check with my electrician re that dc isolator!!

Thanks for that swoofer. The thread about the aerial installation highlighted a few issues alright but at the end of the day and from what I could see the whole thing was sorted after I changed the f-connector to a standard push in connector and set up a new "booster"

The booster appears to be the issue now. I bought it back in January so its now been returned to Amazon. As stated earlier a bought a replacement booster and this is the one that is now sending power to my T2 R box. I have emailed Manhattan asking for them to comment on this and I'll post back when I get their reply.

Advertisement