Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big drop in value

Options
  • 19-11-2023 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭

Looking through papers as an executor of a will I came across an investment that shows a big drop.

Dec 2022 - 53k

Jun 2023 - 43k

Would there be any point querying this? Maybe it's not unusual. I've have no experience of this kind of thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Depending on the nature of the investment it could drop that much in an hour to be honest.

We'd need to know more details though to say for sure. You may not be comfortable divulging that though.

If there's no cost associated with a query then belt one in. Nothing ventured and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Ok, I'll look into the investment type. I'm pretty sure it's nothing high risk though.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

It wouldn't have to be high risk really. As an example, USD depreciated by more than 15% to EUR between some time in Oct 2022 and around June 2023. Anything denominated in USD would have dropped by that much in EUR terms over that time all things equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

@Highway61 Not alone is there a point in querying it, I would say that as executor you have a duty to yourself and to the beneficiaries to query it and satisfy yourself that all is well.

Whether the drop is reasonable or not is impossible to tell without further information. First question is could there have been a withdrawal or distribution? Secondly, who has control/access over the asset ? Thirdly, what is the nature of the investment ? For example, it it is a euro denominated cash investment, then a drop of this magnitude where there were no withdrawals would set every possible alarm bell ringing. Whereas a stock market or commmercial property investment will be more likely to be volatile, especially if denominated in another currency. And then of course it could be in Bitcoin, or Twitter shares, etc. You get the point.

So yes, I would say there is every reason to query it and seek to satisfy yourself that all is in order. And if necessary, to change where the funds are invested to stop the rot.

Advertisement