Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting Chipboard Flooring in situ

Options
  • 19-11-2023 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭

I need to pull an ethernet cable through the attic which is floored with chipboard.

I'm unable to lift one sheet up due to it being forced into position as a right fit. I don't want to be ripping at it as I don't want to crack the plasterboard ceiling in the room below.

So, I think the best option is to cut out part of the chipboard flooring. What is the best way to do this?

Edit to clarify: I'll want to cut the chipboard on centre of the joist so that it has somewhere to rest on when laid back down. So will need something with a depth setting.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Most circular saws have a depth setting. If the board is tight then I'd run the saw down the joint so you just cut the tight board the thickness of the saw blade. If thats not enough do the same again until its loose. Then it will sit back on the same joist.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭10-10-20

As The Continental Op says, a circular saw is the thing here, but I got one of these which allows me to get into tighter spots...

Depth-gauge fitted too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Multi tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

What blade for a multi tool? Would they be up to cutting chip board?

I think there might be a circular saw about, although I'll need to see if it is working and can have depth altered.

• Advertisement

You want to get this right so I suggest you work out your cut exactly then screw a batten down one side of the saw to give you a straight guide.

If you can get away with cutting a hole (or two) in the chipboard to feed your cable then a multi tool would be a good option. If you cut holes very near to the joists then you can screw another piece of wood to the edges of the exposed joints to support the wood you have cut out leaving you access points.

From looking at what is exposed it would seem that the cables have all been clipped to the joists under the flooring which is a massive headache for me because it is insulated and I can't see where they are.

Might have to lift the flooring from one side to the other to get the cable pulled. Seemingly small job turning into a major project.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

might be easier to clip it to the rafters

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

A multi tool with a woodblade lads. You're over complicating this.

It would be done now in under 5 mins already.

Tell us what you are cutting with it and I might agree?

• Advertisement

He's cutting chipboard. It's in the opening post. Job would have been done in 5 minutes.

@listermint - just realised, are you talking about an oscillating multitool as opposed to a Dremel style 'multitool'?

I guess my initial question was which of the options would have the most uses after this is done.

I see sorry I get you, most people wouldn't call the dremel a multi-tool.

This is a multi-tool. Extremely useable.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/dewalt-dcs355n-xj-18v-li-ion-xr-brushless-cordless-oscillating-multi-tool-bare/1210G?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiApOyqBhDlARIsAGfnyMpxWokEFzbfg3jK0NaiIyLDMzjCCT5WT43izjSQ6cYNFzcQHwguE9EaAo8NEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Also very cheap for corded versions of the same item. Always have some use for mine. I've gone through a few. Dewalts lasted them all though

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If the sheet is just being held by friction between two roof members I vote for a reversible clamp (spreader).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,042 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If its just wedged in then cut it down the middle (lengthways) the kerf should give you enough to lift the boards, if not make another cut how ever far from the first cut based on how much wiggle room you need to get the board out.

Advertisement