Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment insulation in Apartment block

Options
  • 19-11-2023 4:05pm
    Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1

Hello. Just bought apartment in apartment block and it appeared has very poor insulation I think it's no insulation in walls at all and it has all outside walls..it's top floor. Atick has only one layer of rock wool.

I have dehumidifier permanently and it going non stop having feeling it suckling dampness from all village....I'm heating apartment or not the temperature is not much difference what is in main corridor which has no heating at all.

Any advice where I should start 🤔

Thanks .

Post edited by Spear on

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭wandererz

I had this problem about 8 years ago.

The plasterboard walls were stuck onto the brick walls with no insulation.

I got in a company that removed the plasterboard on the outer facing walls, installed insulation, plus a vapour barrier and then new plasterboard. You will lose about 4 inches of space though.

There are grants you can get from SEAI to reduce the costs.

Because I never liked storage heaters, i removed them and installed underfloor heating. But there are very good electric wall heaters available from the likes of Farho.

Unfortunately that company is no longer in business. But perhaps speak to someone like this who will give you a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Thats not good and leading to very high heating costs. I would contact the management company tomsee if they can fund the upgrade as it relates to to building construction.

I have a similar situation with a top floor apt. In my case, the problem is no ceiling. Foil backed plaster board above the void to contrete roof slab which I am assured is insulated. That is not much use if you are heating the void. I am hoping to have it addressed as part of planned remediation work on other legacy and serious defects throughout the development.

It shocking that so much was built that is not compliant to building regs.

Advertisement