Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plywood lining a garden shed

Options
  • 19-11-2023 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

I’ve 12’ x 12’ steel cladding garden shed used for keeping motorbikes and some repairs.

it has foil insulation on the sides and I wanted to line the inside of the shed with plywood. I’ve no permanent heat source in it only a plug in heater so it can be damp during the winter.

looking at 12mm plywood , would it be ok with some dampness in the shed or will I need marine plywood ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

Maybe spray foam insulation with battens and marine ply over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭LastFridayNight

What's the source of the damp - is it condensation? If yes, does the shed have good ventilation? It is essential to have good ventilation in any building- but even more so in a building not regularly heated.

If the damp is coming from a leak then obviously this needs fixing. If it's coming up from ground you'll have to describe the issue in more detail.

Your plywood idea may help with reducing condensation on walls and roof, but I would imagine 25mm insulation board might actually be slightly cheaper than decent plywood (it was last time I checked), and will certainly be more effective and won't rot or mould up. Just foam any large cracks and tape the seams if you want to do a proper job. If you need a harder wall in certain areas for fixing electrics or hanging equipment you can just put cheaper chipboard in those areas over the insulation board.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'm using 12mm ply here for a project and I'm thinking that it's probably too heavy for shed walls, maybe 8mm will be fine if it's just to protect the foil insulation?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I have the thinnest ply on a wooden shed (5mm?) and put rockwool underneath. Condensation was an issue with a superser heat - of course it would! - but a 5inch ventilation fan that vents to the outside (part of a model making spay paint booth) stops the condensation. Even with the fan off the extra ventilation from having the fan connected to the outside stops the condensation.

So the take away as always is VENTILATION matters.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,641 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭10-10-20

• Registered Users Posts: 33,641 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This isn't cladding though it's your final wall finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Would you not be better off with some hygroscopic wood fibre product like Pavatex Pavadry (which has OSB bonded to it) to regulate the moisture?

Foil insulation sounds useless.

Advertisement