Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor Christmas lights for home

Options
  • 19-11-2023 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

I never tried outside Christmas lights before but I would like to try this year. I don't have an external power point. I think I would prefer battery operated lights instead of trailing a cord and plug in through a window.

How are outdoor lights hung up. I had a look outside my front door. I don't fancy climbing up high to hand clips on the gutters so that option is out. I don't like heights and I struggle on a step ladder.

I have outside bushes and trees. I could hand some lights around the outside trees.

However I think I would like the lights to be on the house. To be around the door and windows.

Is there anyway to hang of the concrete window shapes outside? Or will I have to make do with hanging lights of the trees outside?

Any help would be great and thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

If you want to run them on your house or on a wall, and assuming the wall is concrete, you use cable clips like these:

https://www.woodies.ie/catalogsearch/results?query=cable+clips

You'll get them in any hardware shop. Use the appropriate size for the cable on your lights.

Just be sure to scream and curse loudly every time you hammer your thumb.

If you have external wall insulation, check to see if there's something else you should be doing, as it isn't a good idea to put holes in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭MoonMotorway

Thank you for your reply. I don't think I want to be hammering holes into the contrete walls and frames.

I will have to go back to the drawing board to figure out how to put up lights.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

3M clips.

I have some on the facia the last 2 years no issues.

This year though, I’m going permanent lights from Govee.

If you have a picture of your front elevation, we could offer some advice maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Sheedy234

Get an outdoor socket put in the battery light are no where near as good.there not as bright and you will end up changing battery's. I have done it myself in the last and no comparison in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tikka16751

Sky hooks are brilliant for holding up lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭MoonMotorway

I won't be able to get an outdoor socket. Not this side of Christmas anyways. I have a long list of other stuff and jobs and repairs to do, I can't cope with any more.

I would love a bright option so the other option is the trail a lead into a window but I don't want to do that either. I think the only option I have now is battery lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

As an electrician , I can verify what you said about those bastard clips.

Also my wife asks me every year to put up outside Christmas lights , this year she got a quote from an electrician for 800 euros !!!!!!

Cleary he’s going to use lights from Dublin airports runways.

Advertisement