Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pipe behind stove has rotted away

Options
  • 18-11-2023 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

I lit stove with backboiler yesterday, I went to put more fuel on it and when I opened door loads of smoke came out into living room, this has never happened before so I rang hubby to arrange our chimney cleaner it was cleaned last August and this fire only lit during winter months.

I let fire die down and today my husband lifted plate inside stove to clean out as he thought that might be the problem first.

When he put hand and lower arm in to clean out his hand went straight out of pipe.

See pics, are we better off replacing pipe or replace stove which were thinking of anyway from a 22kw to a 30kw. We'd have to get plumber in anyway to drain system and remove stove to get access.

Hubby thinks as we only have a cowel that rain coming down chimney may have sat at bottom especially when not in use and it rotted that way (we did have alot of rain this year)

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 32 billybull999

Find a local fabricator who will make a patch for it and weld it on or make a new pipe altogether. Simple job, don't throw out the stove, fix what you have. 👍 YouTube us your friend, no need for a plumber if you watch a few videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭micks_address

Moisture in timber if you are burning a lot of it can be an issue to.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Madd002

All fixed we just replaced bend sealed with fire cement and put new rain cowl on chimney, also ordered a new 30kw stove as this one 11yrs old and only 21kw. Especially with new regulations after coming in. We'll move this stove to garage conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Madd002

We use our own turf, dried and use previous yrs stock , also got lorry load of wood 2 yrs ago that was dried 2 yrs previously got cert of moisture level before purchase, we got it and stored in our garage still working our way through it. Thanks for suggestion though

Advertisement