Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.222 Remington

Options
  • 18-11-2023 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

I'm in the market for a foxing rifle, not in a rush, but I've been offered a Tikka in .222 for a very good price.

I know ballistically a .223, on paper, is better, but my concern is, after some googling, ammunition availability.

Just wondering does anyone use a rifle in .222 and how hard do you find it to source ammunition.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

I got a tikka m595 in from the UK in .222

It's an absolutely gorgeous gun, arguably better than the t3(but they shoot fine too) It can be a bit of a pain to find ammo and I will probably rebarrel it to .223 at some point but it shoots very well as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Rifter

Its the ammo availability that is putting me off tbh, at the price I've been offered the rifle I could, I suppose, afford a rebarrel to .223 if ammunition becomes a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JP22

.222 (Remington 222) - aka “The Trible Duce” designed by Walker for Remington around 1950, it falls midway between the Hornet and the 220 Swift, a very easy (soft) cartridge to shoot and doesn’t wear out barrels like other fast rounds.

Remington 222 was mad super accurate and used as a long range varmint round in the US, it also dominated benchrest shooting in the 1970’s/80’s, and is credited with shooting a 100yd (certified) five shot group of 0.009” in 1973 (basically a one hole five shot group) which stood for about 40 years.

Unfortunately like all things in life, the .222 died a death with the introduction of the .223/5.56 Nato which was adopted by the US military.

.222 ammo is available but expensive, if the rifle shoots and you can get ammo at a good price and you’re not shooting hundreds of rounds a week, the .222 is a super round.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,954 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Likewise in France,with its awkward restictions on civvies owning military calibers.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Rifter

Well ita good to know its popular in Europe, even if it makes sourcing it a little awkward

Will run you about 82 euros for 100 Sellier&Bellot 52 grains from Frankonia in Germany at the moment.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

Will they ship to here? Or how do you get yhem

They'll ship to Ireland once you have sent them an import cert from the DOJ[Free] and you have bought enough ammo[500 plus rounds?] to make it worth their while to get an export cert from their local authorities, which is not free in Germany unlike here.

The Catch 22 is however shipping costs via courier. It's probably going to cost just as much again in courier/postal fees as the original ammo price.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Sika98k

Get a N.I visitors permit. 222 is quite popular in The Wee North.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

I just did some ferretting around and Frankonia have evidently stopped foreign ammo sales annoyingly.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

I have a 222.

I use mostly 40g sako, which is easily got. Never had issues with ammo availability, and price, while not as cheap as some 223, has almost identical and sometimes better performance.

Extremely accurate, and pleasant to shoot, with impacts seen through scope.

Mine is quieter than my HMR.

Would highly recommend

Advertisement