Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I turn off an old jammed radiator?

Options
  • 17-11-2023 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭

Hi.

The rads are gas heated. They were installed c. Xmas 1993. For many years, I've been unable to turn off the rad. Others in the house want the central heating on some nights, I would prefer it to be off unless the temperature is in minus figures outside [easier to sleep in a cooler bedroom]. Does anyone have tips on how to do this?

Please see the attached photos. The first 2 are the left side of the rad, the other 2 are of the right side. I'm not sure if the white covers were switched

places over the years.

Must both ends of the rad be turned off?

I know it must go clockwise.

Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Any side (if valve working) will turn off the rad.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

If right site valve not working, switch the plastic top to other side and turn off there.

Note. If left valves have been used for balancing rads, then count number of 1/4 turns so that you can put back to where it was if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Worztron

Hi Wearb. The valves are so stiff that the plastic cover won't turn them. I'm not sure what the situation with balancing rads is - that's new to me. Thanks for the ¼ tip anyway. Cheers.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

You'll need to get valve started with a box /adjustable wrench. Make sure you're turning the correct way. Experience only will tell you how much force you can apply before doing damage.

• Advertisement

Yes.

The left one was rounded from someone that tried turning it from years back. I tried the right one and a bit of the metal broke off. Damn! )-:

You'll need to change the valves then.

You could leave it until winter is over and just cover it with an old duvet or similar. That will prevent it giving off much heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,159 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Do any plumbers in Ireland use the gadget for freezing the pipes while you work on them? Would be really handy in this situation, when it gets to replacing the valves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭10-10-20

They do, but they are pricey as hell. ~43 EUR a go.

• Advertisement

"You'll need to change the valves then."

Is that tricky and expensive? Would a plumber need to do that?

---

"You could leave it until winter is over and just cover it with an old duvet or similar. That will prevent it giving off much heat."

Cool trick, I never knew of that. Thanks.

Advertisement