Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long after spreading Dung can you graze

Options
  • 17-11-2023 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

How long after spreading manure from a dung heap can you graze animals in the same field...?

(Not talking about slurry from a slatted tank)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We always used to spread fym when the cattle came in for the Winter which on a wet year like this was probably late October/early November. Nowdays with the regulations I don't think you can spread fym after the end of October but years ago we would spread during the Winter after a few good hard frosts when the ground would be dry enough to travel. The dung would get picked over by crows/jackdaws and spread even finer. You wouldn't see it the following Spring. We didn't have slatted tanks/slurry in those days only dry bedded sheds. IMO repeated applications of slurry softens the top layer of the ground whereas years ago dung never did.

If the dung is rotten i.e. last years dung then I wouldn't have an issue with letting them out after a week or so to pick through what grass is growing. Never spread fresh dung as it sucks the nitrogen outta the ground in order to break down/compost. That may not be the scientific term but fresh dung burns the grass iykwim.

@JohnChadwick there are more knowledgeable posters on here that may advise you better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Id let them put immediately if needed. Dung won't kill them. They will let you know when they have all ateable grass...ate.

At what stage/composting of fym would you let livestock/bloodstock out?

I'd go Immediately if needed, but that need had never arose personally.

We don't know when John spread/will spread this dung so can't predict growth and utilisation levels of grass and dung.

The cattle will tell if they don't want to be on that ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭JohnChadwick

Spread the dung start of October in a limited window of opportunity of 2 dry days together. Grass is growing well in this field but it's not all broken down.

Should be fine to graze based on your replies, as it's been nearly 6 weeks now.

Yes ideal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭amacca

That's interesting about not spreading fresh dung...try not to do it here but didn't know the reason for it.

I always thought it can't be that bad as the animals themselves couldn't be spreading it any fresher when they are out grazing😅

We used to leave it in the shed over the summer grazing period and then spread it in the autumn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Who2

I spread fresh dung here most years, I pick a different field and graze it out bare then spread on it. The first grazing after thee is usually remnants of dung but nearly all gone on second grazing. It may use up nitrogen but it’s always a deep lush green by the end of the year.

Spread when ground conditions allow is the way to go nowadays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭148multi

It's the process of rotting the bedding that eats up nitrogen, fresh dung can spread coccidiosis in stock.

Know a man that puts out a light cover with side slinger after each rotation, it's like very thick slurry.

It seems to work very well for him

Advertisement